Singer 127

Old 02-16-2014, 01:06 PM

Default Singer 127

I had my mother's 127 serviced a couple of years ago, and am starting to think about quilting on it. A few days ago I was reading on this forum about some antique machines having an oil reservoir. How do I tell if mine has one, and what do I do if it does (or doesn't, for that matter)??

Also was stunned to find that the 127 has a stitch length adjustment, but I'm scared to mess with it. And I have never dared touch the tension!

Hints or words of wisdom, anyone??
Old 02-16-2014, 01:17 PM

Your Grace,
Your Singer 127 does not have any oil reservoir, just a lot of oil holes, many behind the faceplate and under the bed. Feel free to turn the stitch length knob from end to end. It will take 6 or 8 complete turns. Turning CW makes the stitch longer I just finished a full size kaleidoscope/maltese cross quilt, all blocks were completely sewn on my 127 treadle. The upper tension couldn't be more simple, just a nut pressing a spring which squeezed the two tension disks together.
John in WI
Old 02-16-2014, 02:46 PM

Just wondering, johnm, if you also quilted your quilt on your 127 treadle. That's what I'm thinking of trying.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:55 AM

The particular quilt that I was referring to was tied rather than quilted, however I have quilted entire quilts by treadle. No fancy stitching, just straight rows. I like to quilt on the diagonal. The binding was applied with a Davis Vertical Feed treadle. A great sm, no puckers or gathers. Finished size is 72x88
Johnm in WI
. [ATTACH=CONFIG]462959[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	101_2029.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	462959  
Old 02-19-2014, 01:21 PM

Beautiful! My Mother used to tie her quilts instead of quilting them. That's probably why I want to quilt them.

What kind of needles do you get to use in your machine? This needle has been in it since . . . well, since I can remember. Not sure it's gonna want to come out!
Old 02-21-2014, 11:55 AM

I have used just about any standard needle that comes to hand, as so many old sm come with packages of needles. I usually use a #14 and bought 100 Organ brand. I often sharpen needles rather than throwing them away. For my Wheeler and Wilson, I made an adapter with a 7/8 inch diameter diamond disk, that goes on the bobbin winder. Just treadle away, and sharpen my needle.
John