Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Binding Quilt >

Hand Binding Quilt

Hand Binding Quilt

Old 02-16-2014, 11:13 AM

I too machine sew the binding to the front and hand stitch it to the back. I strive not to have my stitches show. I haven't had any issues with my binding coming loose and I regularly machine wash my quilts. I do also anchor stitch every 9 inches as a precaution, so if a portion ever were to come loose, only a small portion would be affected.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:46 AM

I can't get machine stitched binding to look neat so I machine stitch the binding on the front and hand stitch the back. I use small blind stitch tying knots every 6 inches. I can do a twin size quilt in 3-4 hours while watching TV. Is relaxing to me.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:59 AM

I always machine stitch to the front, then hand stitch to the back... I don't know what the stitch is called, but it is pretty invisible. I think Momma taught me this stitch, but don't remember the moment. It must have been a LONG time ago, and she's been gone for years, now. If your stitches are close enough together they should remain secure... hope this helps! It doesn't take that long once you get your rhythm.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:50 PM

My favorite part of making a quilt is to do the binding. I always machine stitch to the front, and hand-stitch to the back. An average lap quilt takes me about 5 hours to hand-stitch, so a twin quilt would probably take me at least 7-8 hours. It's the most relaxing part of quilting, so I don't mind.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:24 PM

I always machine stitch to the front and hand finish the binding on the back. I have never had a problem with it coming out etc. I don't really know how long it takes me but I usually finish in an evening of watching TV. I am a hand quilter so it just seems normal to me. I machine wash and dry my quilts and have never had a problem with the binding coming loose.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:45 PM

Thanks to all of you. I can see I need to practice, practice...
I am gig to check out the videos an try the ladder stitch.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by PlanoDebbie View Post
My favorite part of making a quilt is to do the binding. I always machine stitch to the front, and hand-stitch to the back. An average lap quilt takes me about 5 hours to hand-stitch, so a twin quilt would probably take me at least 7-8 hours. It's the most relaxing part of quilting, so I don't mind.
Couldn't have said it better myself! I love doing the binding...I find it relaxing also!