Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PreCuts & QUILTING ~ Jelly Rolls ~ Layer Cakes & More >

PreCuts & QUILTING ~ Jelly Rolls ~ Layer Cakes & More

PreCuts & QUILTING ~ Jelly Rolls ~ Layer Cakes & More

Old 02-17-2014, 12:57 PM

I buy a lot of fat quarter bundles..easy to cut layer cakes or charms from them if that is what I need..and I like to buy jelly rolls too. Sometimes I pick 1 or 2 fabrics from a bundle and order yardage for borders..but I am finding I like quilts without borders lot too..depending on the pattern and size I want.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:25 PM

Rhealene

great idea with the fat quarters
Old 02-17-2014, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
You can get 14 strips at 2.5in per yard of material. So you would need about 2 7/8 yds of fabric to equal a jelly roll ( or there abouts) assuming 40 strips in a jelly roll.

At lets say $11.95/yd fabric, then that is $11.95 * 3yds = $35.85, typical jelly rolls are around $30-35 each....

so assuming variations in fabric prices (balis more than printed) then you are basically paying the same as yardage. The difference is that you get anywhere from 20 - 40 different fabrics rather than a handful.
Your math is right on! But I am still not going to order any more precuts. I ordered some butterfly squares that were so whompered they had to be sashed with fabric of different widths to finally get them square enough to use. The quilt is beautiful, but it sure wouldn't pass muster with the quilt police. It would probably cost me more to fussy cut fabric of that sort, but at least it would be approximately square. dnf
Old 02-17-2014, 02:50 PM

I, too, hesitate in purchasing pre-cuts. I've heard of similar problems mentioned above.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:31 PM

I haven't had problems with precuts being the wrong size. I just don't buy a lot of precuts because I like to pick my own colors. Also a lot of the quilts I make wouldn't work with precuts. Also I am trying not to buy fabric at all right now. I just finished a bento box quilt that called for a jelly roll, I cut it from my stash.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:08 PM

I have purchased two jelly rolls. The idea is in my head about what I'm going to do about it. I even have refined it when I can't sleep at night. but I haven't used them yet. I would say in the next three years they'll get used. They are Bali jelly rolls. Thank you luvstoquilt301 now I know to check them carefully. My idea doesn't require them to be perfect. I always assumed they were expensive yardage wise and only bought them if they were on sale. I've always bought them at quilt stores. Never was drawn to the ones at Joanne's.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer2009 View Post
I'm interested in knowing how many people
buy and use precuts in their quilting projects and why.

what are your favorite precuts ?
I chose a Strip It Quilt and it called for pre cut Tonga Treats two and a half in. wide which I bought three rolls at least. The pattern warned me to measure the strips and sure enough they weren't all that width so I had to cut down to make them all the same width. It was a tedious job and the fraying made it messy as I handled and sewed the strips. I'm also not sure how to line up the pre cuts since the ones I used were pinked (zig zagged) on the edges. Maybe someone has better ideas how to handle the mis-measured pieces and how to line up the edges of pinked strips. Beware the strips aren't always the exact measurement, everyone! The quilt turned out so nice in spite of the extra cutting I had to do for the not so accurate pre-measured!
Old 02-18-2014, 05:32 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by 0tis View Post
I am the queen of Pre-cut purchases - I love, love, love pre-cuts - it makes it so much easier to complete a project - I know all the fabrics will coordinate and I often hear from others - "Wow, you really have an eye for color" Yes, I do (wink, wink) I love jelly rolls, charm packs, mini charm packs, layer cakes, fat quarter bundles. I don't buy hexagons and rarely will I buy honey buns - I always look for sales and check out many sites before I buy - I usually buy Moda, Riley Blake or Robert Kaufman - I've never had a problem with sizes on my precuts - also I do not have an accuquilt cutter or any other cutting device (other than my rotary cutter and ruler) so I like how it saves me time. I have found many free patterns and I have many books using pre-cuts. I don't usually pay full price - so you can find great deals and the fabric is first rate - so I will continue to buy pre-cuts as long as I can.
Hi Otis - long time no talk. I am a lover of pre-cuts also. I just bought 5 charms of 30s fabric. I didn't own any 30s fabric but felt I needed to. I have jelly rolls, layer cakes and lots of fat quarter bundles. I love to work with them. I don't have an eye for color. If I try to make up a quilt at a LQS, the person behind the counter will tell me that my colors don't match. One is too yellow, one is too orange, etc. So I buy fabric lines in any way possible. I buy yards out of a fabric line and it works well. I also buy quilt kits. I buy them from LQS, from magazines and online. I don't prewash, so I don't worry about the small pieces. I know lots of people buy pre-cuts, maybe not from this board, but when Jenny Doan has her 'Quilter's Daily Deal', I usually can't get it because it's sold out. I live in Pacific time, so I'm always late for those deals. But I believe pre-cuts are very beneficial for me.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:37 AM

I generally prefer to buy yardage *but* do enjoy buying the occassional precuts if I like almost everything in the pack. I usually buy my charm packs from MSQC when they have a daily deal; picking up the one super cheap then usually buy 3 more at regular price just so I have enough. And sometimes I'll buy 1-2 yards of coordinating yardage too. I generally don't have a pattern in mind when I buy them but at least I'll have them handy when I find a pattern I like
Old 02-18-2014, 05:41 AM

I know that this is silly but I have bought three jelly rolls in the past year because I just LOVED the colors but I have not found the perfect pattern for them. I will. I have never bought a lay cake or charm pack. I have so much in my stash that I want to be a good user of what is on hand.