Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Blade Sharpeners - Do they work? >

Rotary Blade Sharpeners - Do they work?

Rotary Blade Sharpeners - Do they work?

Old 02-17-2014, 05:24 PM

Default Rotary Blade Sharpeners - Do they work?

I've considered buying a rotary blade sharpener but I keep asking myself if I really want to put out $35-$60 for one. If you have one would you give it a review here? What brand is it, what did you pay for it, and is it worth it? Thanks.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

I don't use one but I think we have discussed this recently. Try the advanced search function and see what turns up while you are waiting for more posts
Old 02-17-2014, 07:59 PM

I have tried two different types, the Orbitol and the manual one with the sand paper discs. Neither one worked that well. The blades were some better but not nearly as good as a new one. The Orbitol cost almost $40 and the other one was less than $20 but I couldn't give either one of them more than a fair rating. If the blade had the slightest nick, the sharpener was useless.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:07 PM

I haven't found one yet I would pay for again.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:16 PM

I had the one with the sand paper years ago. It worked pretty well. I would sharpen in the middle of a project and I could notice a difference for sure. I was not able to buy blades whenever I needed them back then cuz I never had the money so it worked better than nothing. I'm sure it would have been better to replace the blade at that time but I wasn't able to replace it so it did improve the blade for me.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:28 PM

I use the manual type, for me it works fine. My friend tried to use it and couldn't get her blade sharp. I think it helps that I know how to sharpen knifes on a stone and am used to the amount of pressure needed to get a good edge.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:45 AM
Administrator

No blade sharpener on the market for home use will return a blade to "like new." (The manufacturers are not trying to pull the wool over our eyes. They are all very honest about that. It's been noted in the instructions for every sharpener i've ever bought or tried.) They do, however, extend the useful life of blades and can help us save money once we find one we like and can use properly.

I have used:

1. the orbital sharpener - the design seems to make a lot of sense; it comes with two different "stones", one of which is supposed to help a little with damaged/nicked blades. there's a learning curve with this type of sharpener that i couldn't seem to get through, so it ended up in my collection of tools i never use. i'm sure it must work if used properly or it wouldn't still be on the market. i just couldn't get the hang of it.

2. TrueCut Linear blade sharpener - of the manual sharpeners i've tried, this one requires the least physical effort and was the least tiring on my hands and wrists. the stone can be replaced if it ever wears out (although i think that would take longer than i have left on the mortal plane. LOL) it came with very good instructions. when i first got it, i played with it for a bit and then set it aside. as with most tools, it also takes some practice. and - also as usual - i was not patient enough to practice. i found it, recently, while re-organizing my stuff. on a whim, i decided to give it another whirl. whaddya know ... i had more success this time around. i think i need a bit more practice to keep the blade moving smoothly against the stone. you do have to use it properly and carefully, though. i wrecked one blade because i was careless and too heavy-handed. the price has gone up quite a bit since i bought mine. if you can find it on sale somewhere, it would be worth consideration.

3. the plastic, manual sharpeners with the sand paper discs - they seem expensive for what they are, but i have gotten the most consistent and closest-to-new results with these. and no learning curve. the sandpaper discs do wear out, and need to be replaced from time to time. using them is a workout, though. definitely not a good idea for anybody with arthritic hand or wrist joints, for example.

4. the TrueCut electric sharpener. a bit pricey, but produces results very similar to #3, above. it comes with good instructions and has virtually no learning curve. i recommend ear plugs while running it, and definitely recommend you not drop it. mine still works, but i have to hold the lid down because the little latch broke when it hit my concrete floor.

None of them are inexpensive but if you can find one that works well for you, they will pay for themselves over time.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
I have tried two different types, the Orbitol and the manual one with the sand paper discs. Neither one worked that well. The blades were some better but not nearly as good as a new one. The Orbitol cost almost $40 and the other one was less than $20 but I couldn't give either one of them more than a fair rating. If the blade had the slightest nick, the sharpener was useless.
Not tried the expensive one but have the little hand held one with sandpaper/Emery cloth. It works OK and as Shelbie said - they are never as good as first out of the package, That being said, if you were on a budget, sharpened ones work OK and still do the job.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:48 AM

Thumbs up

I have the most expensive TruCut Electric they make and have had it several years. I also have bought VERY few blades in recent years because the sharpener works so well. I recommend not letting your blades get too dull before sharpening. And if your blade is too far gone no amt of sharpening will help. If mine died today I'd reorder a new one so fast it would make your head swim. I must admit though it is noisy and you want to put a drop or 2 of sewing machine oil on the grinding stones before using them.

Last edited by Silver Needle; 02-18-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:49 AM

I have the sharpener with the sandpaper and think it works OK. I do not think that is one sharpens to a new blade but it will help to make blade sharper but not like new. Also if there is a nick in the blade it will not take it out. Buy it at Joanns with coupon and it is worth it. All that said- I use the carpet blades form Harbor Freight 2 blades for $2 so I really don't care if I sharpen a blade.