2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 02-18-2014, 05:24 AM

Well, I have to say that I'm totally off the wagon after the weekend and yesterday really did me in! So probably more than a wet noodle needs to be used here. I can't use the idea that I had my hm-hms flattened into pancakes (just love that...gonna remember it!), but I did spend most of Saturday freezing my ears off. So, you know, the quilt shop nearby was warm...and I did try to resist, but hubby owed me a Christmas present (hey, I know Christmas is over, but collecting on debts is good) that he returned. So HE bought fabric with birds, a plain fabric to match, and two 1/2 yards of kitty fabric. Since HE paid, it's okay right? And we won't talk about yesterday, except to say I visited a friend and hoped to get to the quilt shop on the way home after it closed...but no! There were customers still in there, they hadn't locked the door, and they welcomed me...so how could I not buy something? And that is the rest of the story. Now I will stay home and sew. This is way more difficult than I thought!!!
Old 02-18-2014, 07:40 AM

Well, I really really thought about calling a fabric moratorium for the year. Honestly I did!!! But then DH's new contract has him traveling to NC nearly every week so really, how could I pass up all that wonderful free shipping within the continental USA?? Please, tell me how that would even be possible--especially with the unbelievable prices and sales at so many of the FabShopHop stores plus Connecting Threads and don't even get me started on Carolina Cotton....Yeah I fell really REALLY hard!!!
Old 02-18-2014, 08:11 AM

Ginger: When you fall you fall magnificently!
Old 02-18-2014, 11:59 AM

I so enjoy the conversations on this thread!

While looking through some of my nicely organized cut squares(in labeled boxes/bins even), I got disgusted with orphan blocks falling off of the shelf by these bins so I made the following charity top. 2 of the 10 minute blocks were leftovers from a quilt that my niece made a while back. I had a few strip blocks done also. I decided to add a few more of the 10 minute blocks which was a new experience for me. So I used quite a few squares from my stash along with the sashing. The 3 middle long strips were also finished and stacked on some shelves.

I really thought I would have an ugly quilt when I was done, but it grew on me as I was doing it. There was lots of unstitching as I was making it up as I went along. Today, my church group sandwiched and tied it. The backing was brought to the front and will be sewn down later. It measured about 70 by 80. It is hanging crooked.

Connie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	951.0 KB
ID:	463137  
Old 02-18-2014, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Martina: Glad you found a good selection of goodies. About the Synthrapol, unfortunately I have my quilt flimsy half pieced. Do you think it would work with the whites in there with the reds?
You can put it in the wash after the quilt is finished. Supposedly it only takes a small amount and it binds the die particles in the water. I would probably add some color catchers also.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:28 PM

Connie: What a fun quilt! Those little orphans now have a home and will be snuggled by someone who will love them. Good job.
OK guys and gals...I received my Connecting Threads catalog today and oh...I want, I want, I want. The Rhapsody of Reds, the Symphony of Blues, the Neutral Love II. What is in my DNA that stirs my soul when I see this beautiful stuff? I have not spent anything yet...Lord help me!
Old 02-18-2014, 06:59 PM

I think its our love of beauty and appreciation of color that leads us down this road to aquiring. I am currently being lured by a paisley on the Whittle web site. $4 per yard. If it was $10 per yard, no problem, wouldn't even be tempted, but $4, for $36 a quilt top. Oh no, so wanted to make it to month end. I know I am going to fall.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:23 PM

Emma, I hear what you are saying. When the deal is good and all the reasons pro and con considered, it's very difficult to stand firm and say no. Yes, sounds so much better. I honestly don't know how I can not buy. This is more difficult than I thought it would be.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:52 AM

A good thing about this resolution is if/when we fall off this wagon we can jump back on again for the ride. Right? Maybe we can count the days we refrain from buying, like 364, or 363, or 362.... out of 365? That's do-able and we'll still feel good by year end (when we give in due to exceptional circumstances that are impossible to pass up).
Those who make the whole year are an exceptional bunch (or few)!
Old 02-19-2014, 09:47 AM

My Wife will be so excited for me to do this!!!!