Where's a featherweight?

Old 02-17-2014, 04:34 PM
Banned

i like that the price translates to 221 in us dollars.... lol
Old 02-17-2014, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Why are they so hard to find? Made by the hundreds, never wear out, stuck in the bottom of our Grandparents and Parents closets. Yet, they are elusive if you don't want to pay $400 for them. I have an itchy finger to have one, but can't find one for a reasonable sewing price. Do they actually sell for $400?
I have bought 2 FW's and a 301A on Craigs List for a little over $200. All are in great condition with attachments, original manuals and cases in very good condition.
I also have a 99K and a 185j that I got from Goodwill. Both in good condition too....... Just keep looking and be selective...you'll find what you want
Old 02-17-2014, 08:04 PM

I have 4 FW's. Price paid was $3 from a yard sale (ad on CL) for one that was totally siezed up everywhere possible, and 3 for $100 ea bought off CL at different times. They were all pretty sad looking when I found them, but they are all fairly nice and extremely useable now. The thins is, many ebay units are spruced up with every accessory in order to command the highest price. But maybe if you just want one toa actually use, you can find one cheaper. They aren't rare at all, there were millions made. They just have an almost cult following now, which drives up the price.
Good luck in your search, GW isn't bad, but you don't know the condition of bobbin case and base and needle plate and motor, any of which can set you back $40.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:57 PM

I have three, would love to sell two, but would need to get about $350-$375 to break even on them -- if anyone here wanted to buy one, you would have to pay to have The UPS Store pack it for shipping. I would trust them to do a decent job of it. I know I would never be willing to pack one for shipping without going there. I have no idea how much they would charge for packing and shipping - it might make it prohibitive!
Old 02-18-2014, 05:04 AM

Thanks for the offer w7sue, just can't afford it at that price. I fully understand needing to break even on them. Since I'm in Florida, we are about as far apart as we can get.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Redsquirrel View Post
Its funny, when we say over priced. Its only over priced if someone doesn't buy it for the asking price. If they sell for the amount being offered than its the right price. Things are worth what people are willing to pay. Simple supply and demand.
All I know is, I'd rather pay $300 for a machine that is all metal and that will last for 100 years + than a similar plastic machine that will break within the first year.

Just my 2 cents.
ditto!!!!!
Old 02-18-2014, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

I think so many people are looking for the black ones and not realizing they come in different colors. My sister's gentleman friend has a beautiful light mint green made in "64" I believe and in beautiful condition. They cleaned it up the other day. It only needed a damp gentle wipe down with a damp cloth. I'm so jealous. So it depends on the specifics one is looking for. His has all the attachments. The case is a little dusty but they cleaned it up also. I saw another in a local shop and the guy wants $550. for it. Depending on specifics and condition could be more.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:58 AM

I'm waiting on one that isn't perfect and is a fixer upper. There are millions and someday one of them will be for me.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:53 AM

Have you put the word out to family and friends? You never know - someone's grandmother or aging aunt just might have a FW sitting in the bottom of the closet or tucked away in a basement. It took me many years to pry my mother's FW out of her grasp, but she finally let it come to me when I promised and followed through on that promise to make her a queen sized quilt for her Florida home in Florida colors!! The only reason Mom let me have it really was because she has macular degeneration and cannot see well any longer. But she LOVES her quilt with the pink flamingoes!!!
Old 02-18-2014, 08:03 AM

Toverly - I live in Florida also and just might be able to help you find your Featherweight. I have sent you a private message thru this board. Contact me :-) quiltinjennie