Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shopping on line.... >

Shopping on line....

Shopping on line....

Old 02-18-2014, 09:41 AM

I order from both Connecting threads and Marshall Dry Goods. I've been very pleased with both the quality of fabric and the prices.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

I have always had good luck ordering from Connecting Threads, and I often buy several battings at once because it's a good price. Once I ordered some fat quarters, but when the package arrived, it wasn't what I ordered. Imagine my delight when they told me to just keep them at no change and they sent out the fabric I ordered. I've always had very good service from them and the fabric is good quality.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:32 AM

I highly recommend buying from connecting threads, I have purchased from them and have always been happy with my purchase
Old 02-18-2014, 11:01 AM

I have bought fabrics from them and loved it. I have never used their kits but have heard they are very good.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
Angelarose, yes Connecting Threads threads are linty but if you go for their polyester threads, they are not. I have all of their threads and rarely ever have a problem. Waiting for their variegated threads next month as I still have some from years past and want to add to them. That's how much I like their threads. I also love Aurifil but the price is a bit much for me unless I can find them on sale. I like having a selection of colors to choose from when I go to quilt.
I've never used poly thread. Somewhere along I've heard it best to use cotton. So many opinions. I'll have to check with my guru Jan from VA. She's been right there for me for several years now. She's come to my home and given classes and I recommend you ask her ANYTHING about quilting and she's right there to help. I'll also ask her about Aurifil thread, too. I'll let you know. I'm not too nimble when it comes to getting around the board, but I'll send her an email and then send you a private message if you'd like.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:48 PM

I have ordered from them in the past and had good experiences. One time I'd ordered a 2 yard piece of a red Batik. When my package arrived, there was not a red Batik in the box. I called and we figured out that the person who pulled, cut and packed my box transposed some of the numbers in the item #. The customer service gal I spoke with, told me they'd send off the correct fabric ASAP and I was to just keep the incorrect fabric. It was a small star print on a faded red background - not a fabric I'd ever want to include in a quilt so, I've used it to make practice sandwiches for fmq. The fabric I've gotten all has a nice feel, just like good quality quilt shop fabric.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:59 PM

I paid high price for a LQS fabric that literally raveled away the seam allowance as I sewed it. It was the right fabric for the quilt in every other way, so I bought more so I'd have enough for all the 're-do'. I wash all my fabric before I use it because of allergies, and I absolutely hate to starch fabric for the same reason. But that fabric I starched.

I've never had that problem with a CT fabric and I am a frequent customer. But all that means is that I haven't had a problem yet! LOL
Old 02-18-2014, 03:03 PM

Just to note - on the polyester thread cones, an occasional spool is kind of linty, but still very usable. I've only had one spool like that and all I use for quilting is their thread.

I'd like to try the varigated thread, too.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:06 PM

I just bought some fabric from Marshall Dry Good and am very pleased with it. They also have "old" CT fabrics from about 2 years ago, all of them are Christmas, though.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:11 PM

You do have to pay shipping, but the first 11 (yards) ship for $5.95. I bought about 3 yards of the backing fabrics @ 7.99 a yard, (they are about 3 yards wide, so that was really 9 yards to me) but still counted as only 3 yards to them. So if you shop cleverly with the 11 yard limit for shipping costs of $5.95, you can get quite a bit of fabric.