Looking for

Old 02-18-2014, 03:24 PM

Default Looking for

Hi
Somewhere on the web - I can't remember where was a discussion and comments about people asking for discounts of handmade items to sell. Someone posted a great saying/sign about

Don't embarrass me by asking for a discount as I will embarrass you by saying no.

I am looking for the "correct words" to this as they were nicely done
Many thanks in advance
Lynn
Old 02-19-2014, 02:08 AM

I would like to know also.....
Old 02-19-2014, 05:51 AM

How about, "If you'll forgive me for not offering a discount, I'll forgive you for asking for one"?

Personally, I would not use such a sign. Too antagonistic. If they ask for a discount, just smile sweetly and say, "That won't be possible."

Then, depending on how snarky you feel, you might suggest they go shopping at Walmart where they will probably find something in their price range. (just kidding)
Old 02-19-2014, 06:35 AM

Tell them

No "flea market" quality, no "flea market" price.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:43 AM

Well , we all know, we put LOT of time in our projects. And if we would divide our time & what we price things at..well, we're probably earning pennies per hour. Maybe a good price tag would include:
$price at minimum wage...$ my price! Although, people who do not quilt or do crafts, probably do not realize the time & effort we do put into our items.
"Well Todo, we're not at Walmart anymore." " Quality item, Handmade in the USA"
Old 02-19-2014, 07:30 AM

There is another great saying,

If you don't ask, the answer is always, "No."

That one applies in a lot of dissimilar situations.

P
Old 02-19-2014, 07:36 AM

I had a friend from South America who was visiting, and we were in a clothing boutique and she wanted to ask for a discount. I was mortified, I told her we don't do that here, lol. She asked anyway, and while the store owner said no to the discount, she offered to throw in a pair of earrings. I was floored.

I wouldn't put up a sign and risk offending someone who might mean no offense in asking...
Old 02-19-2014, 08:04 AM

well I feel that hand work is always discounted. One of my quilts that was completely hand done from the appliqued blocks to the quilting and binding ,took me over 2 years to make. figure that at min. wages.!!!!By the way my dsl got it for a birthday gift. lol Does that tell you how I feel about him or not.!!! Jo
Old 02-19-2014, 08:26 AM

Occasionally I get people in my booth at shows asking for a discount. It is always an uncomfortable moment... as I don't want to offend if they truly do not know any better. Depending on how the tone of the discount inquiry is presented varies my response. I often say yes there is a discount for frequent customers. That way they understand there is potential , but since there is no established seller/customer relationship no such discount. But I leave he door open for the start of a good/frequent customer relationship.
I do have many many repeat customers and often give some way recognizing their loyalty either through an unexpected discount or additional add on at no cost.
Someone once gave me good advise .. its takes only seconds to loose a customer , and years to build a loyal customer.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:52 AM

I visited an antique/flea market last weekend. They had a sign as you entered that read "Haggling is Inappropriate" . Now first off, at a flea market I think haggling is expected; the price tag is just a suggestion. I grew up with my father dragging me to flea markets all the time and he taught me the fine art of haggling; I think he would come back to haunt me if I paid the sticker price at a flea market. After reading that sign, it made me feel pretty biased about this market and I did find some items I would have loved to bring home but I also think they could have come down just a little bit in the price. I left without making a purchase. Some people are always going to ask for a discount. If you are selling something, be prepared for the question. There is nothing wrong in declining their request and you shouldn't be embarrassed by it. I know sometimes I have been thrilled even if the discount was a couple bucks!