beginner

Old 11-12-2013, 08:19 AM

seems like the vintage folks have taken over the conversation - they do get wrapped up in their world, she said with a grin!

robynanne, MElizabeth has a good answer to your question - You need to decide what features you want on a sewing machine and what your purse will allow for expenditures. On this board, it appears to me that quilters have all types of machines. As a beginner quilter, I suggest you look for a machine with a good straight seam - surprisingly enough, straight seams on some machines look more like narrow zigzags sometimes. Ability to drop the feed dogs and permit you to do free motion stitching is a great advantage for me and many other quilters....but there are tricks to use for machines that don't have this capability. Third - if you have choices - look for the machine with the largest throat. and last and to me most important , make sure you like your dealer - they can do amazing things for you if you have a good relationship.

I personally have a newer machine that I use for my work - tho I love the vintage ones and have a few.

Ro's answer about purchasing from a dealer vs online or a discount or big box store is correct - with a dealer you can take issues to them instead of shipping the machine off.

My personal experience is that not all newer machines are made of plastic - there are many on the market that will work very well for you - you might go to a dealer to try out some machines, Bring some of your own fabric and do the kinds of things you'd do at home...don't just let them demo the machine for you. Dealerships have personalities - if you find one that won't let you try it yourself, they may not be the shop to purchase from...if you have options. and used machines from a dealer can give you what you need at a lower price than a new machine.

Let us all know what you decide to do.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:49 AM

And make sure you have the right bobbin, and if your just learning to sew, well worth fixing for now. When you have been sewing awhile you will have a better idea what you want and need in a newer machine.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb View Post
seems like the vintage folks have taken over the conversation - they do get wrapped up in their world, she said with a grin!

That could be due to the fact that this thread is sitting in the section called Vintage and Antique machines.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ktbb View Post
... My personal experience is that not all newer machines are made of plastic
I would love to see info on modern machines without plastic.... I have not found ONE yet.....
Old 11-12-2013, 10:13 AM

I would have the Kenmore serviced and use that. It may be that it's all you'll ever need.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:12 PM

I'm new to getting a new machine also. I had a singer "student" model that I purchased at Piece Goods several years ago. It was ok but after a few years would skip stitches, etc. Not a joy to use.

I have recently acquired a Singer model 99 and a Singer model 301. I love both of them. The 99 I had to clean and oil before it would really work but afterward, it works great!!! I converted it to a hand crank.

The 301 I oiled and cleaned and sews like a new one. I personally would recommend one of the older Singers as well since they sew incredibly well cleaned and oiled. You can't go wrong with those. And you can find them easily on Craigslist in your area or in antique or thrift shops for a reasonable price.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:09 PM

I don't know what happened to the OP, but I would have worked on getting that Kenmore running. As ragquilter stated, it was likely something simple to deal with.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:12 PM

Piece Goods, are they still around? I loved that store.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:54 AM

I'm sure your Kenmore is a fine machine that perhaps only needs a little TLC that a good repair person should be able to do for you. But why not have another machine for a backup. .... one that you can work on yourself. There are many great vintage machines that would fit the bill..... for not much $$. I personally love the singer 15-91 for reasons already mentioned plus they are great machines for FMQ. I tend to lean toward singers because parts are readily available and the experts here are so helpful.

But, you do need to think about what you want to use your machine for. Do you want zig-zag? There are zig-zag attachments for vintage machines. Do you want to FMQ with your machine? The 15-91 allows you to drop the feed dogs. Do you want to do those fancy embroidery patterns that new $$$$$ machines do? Well, I don't know of a vintage machine that will do those. And you might have to rob a bank.

I've found quite a few vintage machines that were reasonably priced.... from $10 to $280. I'd suggest that you try them out. I'm not one to purchase blind.... that's why I buy at estate sales and auctions. I can plug one in and see if the motor works and I figure I can figure out how to get it to sew, thanks to all the QB vintage experts here.

Good luck with your search.