Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Removing borders >

Removing borders

Removing borders

Old 03-29-2013, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

I would also just put the new border over the old one. I'd do a 'flip and fold' for the first seam, then fold under the opposite edge and top stitch close to the fold.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:56 AM

How would you apply this to a quilt that is too wide? Bought a different mattress, and quilt is now more of a bedspread.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:03 AM

There's nothing wrong with having a quilt that is too wide for the bed - I use Queen or King bedspreads on my Full bed all the time, but if you don't like the look then you would have to cut down the borders and put on a new binding.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:22 AM

It drags on the floor and hides the bedskirt. It's a Fun and Done and it's heavy. I went from an innerspring mattress to a memory foam on a trundle bed. There's no box spring.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:50 AM

I would put a new border over the first quilt and no one will know.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
It drags on the floor and hides the bedskirt. It's a Fun and Done and it's heavy. I went from an innerspring mattress to a memory foam on a trundle bed. There's no box spring.
You can try un sewing the seam that joins the 2 blocks, but you would probably have to unsew the top stitched portion of the block you are removing to get to the seam. You can always just cut it off using a rotary cutter at a logical place in the block pattern and bind the raw edge.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:52 AM

That does sound like the easiest way of dealing with it. Since I now have EQ5, I can set up the same size blocks as the patterns I'm interested in and see what I have to adjust before buying supplies instead of taking the pattern size as gospel.

Stuff used to be standard sized, but I've seen quilt sizes run the gamut on width. None seem to specify drop.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:51 PM

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions. I am going to try to sew a new border right over the old one the way PaperPrincess suggested a flip and sew. The funny thing is I just did a search looking for answers to repair the inner border hoping someone else asked this question and found some solutions. I started reading the post that came up from March 2013 about replacing borders thinking to myself wow this person had the same problem. I started to laugh when I realized it was my post that I had already asked about. LOL That is how long I have been putting off repairing this quilt. I forgot that I had already asked about this a long time ago. Thanks again to all.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:56 PM

To Weezy Rider: I made a beautiful blue and yellow quilt for my guest room. After it was almost completed (binding was not finished) it was way to large for the bed. I just cut off equal amounts from each side and then put the binding on. Since it was already quilted I used the extra that I had cut off and made pillow shams to match. The quilt was way to busy for me so I put a white quilt on the bed, folded the blue and yellow quilt at the bottom and with the matching shams it is just the right amount of color for me. Happy accident. You could just remove the binding cut the amount off that you need to make it fit now and use the extra for some throw pillows or shams like I did.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:37 PM

I agree with Sharonve - I just put a new border piece in and top stitched it. Looked nice and could have been done by hand but since it was for a child's bed, I machine sewed it. The mother (my sister) loved it and the kid didn't notice it a all.