Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quality Control Issues -- Help? >

Quality Control Issues -- Help?

Quality Control Issues -- Help?

Old 02-18-2014, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by My time View Post
Ladies this subject is making me cranky! Who are you donating these quilts to anyway? Do you know that there are people on our streets who have nothing? I mean literally just the clothes on their backs and your worrying about seam allowances and ugly fabrics??
I agree with those who say, that depends...in my case we donate them to people we have contact with--not a one-time encounter with a total stranger.

That being said, I want to make sure they are attractive when I make them. One of the reasons I started making them to give away was because I felt like so much of what was around me was pretty drab/grey, dull. I wanted to make something to cheer up a lady who might look at it. So, yes, I want my quilts to be pretty--not necessary drop dead gorgeous.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:26 PM

I agree with you on this. But your key words are 'the best you can do". I make a lot of Charity quilts for kids, but I'd have to make a lot fewer if I always had to use $10 - $12 fabric.

The quilts I make are simple quilts, but I make sure that they are what I call 'striking' - quilts that catch the eye and are unique, one of a kind quilts. Even if I use the same pattern, I mix it up a bit, sometimes with a pieced backing, sometimes with different border sizes and, of course fabrics.

As for the comment "too pretty to give away to charity', I agree with you. I always imagine a child seeing the beauty in a quilt and the delight on his or her face. That's the whole reason I make quilts for charity!
Old 02-18-2014, 10:30 PM

Willowwind, in some ways you are right.

Most kids who get a quilt are delighted to get one and they're not too critical since they get to make the choice, at least at the place I donate to.

But quality is important just the same. I saw one baby quilt donated where the thread tension was so loose, I'm not sure how the quilt stayed together. In my opinion, that quilt was dangerous to give to a small child.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:22 AM

Those perfectionists could take the not perfect quilts home and redo them. I am sure they would feel better about the quilts since labels mean so much to them. I was raised to feel charity starts in the heart. We had a woman 90 years old who quilted with us, she was almost blind, needless to say her quilting was a problem. Since we charge for our quilting our director would take the stitches out and redo the areas. It would have broken the elderly ladies heart if she felt she was no longer needed.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by 1rottendog View Post
This will start a firestorm but why would you give as charity a quilt that isn't the best you can do? I even heard a woman say one time "this quilt is too good and too pretty to give to charity." Why not?
I totally agree why would the charity quilts be deemed less worthy of the best work I can do? I agree with using donated fabric. But if the quality of the fabric is too low I wouldn't use it either. Our guild makes hundreds of quilts most of them tied but I would not be ashamed to own any one of them. The least quality fabric I would accept to put in the quilts is the best Joann's or Hancock's has to offer.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:54 AM

This may sound terrible but after reading different sites on donated quilts and what some people use...I don't think I would want one. The thought of old blankets being used as stuffing...its one thing if I did it and used it. But I also know where it has been. I feel the same as using used clothing. I have used a few shirts from my closet..but I would not give it to others...unless they had given me their clothes to make a memory quilt...just me...when I make small quilts with clothes - those I donate to the animal shelters. When you give a quilt..think..would I want my grandchild to receive that. Many quilts go to sick children, soliders, nursing homes...not just to the poor. and even if poor..does not mean they want someones trash. All quilts given should be in the mind set...would I like that...would I enjoy rec'ing that quilt. If not the animal shelter is a great place for them.

Last edited by carolaug; 02-22-2014 at 06:04 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:16 AM

While I am a new quilter and don't sew charity quilts I took exception to the statement these quilts would not be washed very often. It hurt that someone would think just because people are accepting a charity quilt they are "dirty" people.
When I was 9 y/o my parents were divorced and we lived in government housing in the poor part of town. Our furniture was given to us by the Salvation Army and our mattresses sat on the floor. But we washed our linens and clothes just like we did when my parents were together. We didn't change just because our circumstances did. My 11 y/o sister and I washed clothes with an old wringer type washer and hung them on the clothes line to dry, and then learned to iron them while our mother worked to feed us. So even though I was embarrassed to accept charity I was clean and so were my clothes and linens.
Please when you think of people that need a helping hand, don't demoralize them by thinking they are dirty or less than you.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:20 AM

regarding quality control perhaps you can set a side the ones that don't look sturdy enough and wash them. If the seams split then you can take it back quietly to the individual and ask them to fix it. I believe our guild's community service coordinator washes all quilts before delivering them.