Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"hope chests" >

"hope chests"

"hope chests"

Old 02-22-2014, 06:15 AM

Around here, the hunters want cedar chests to hold their hunting clothes so they will smell natural in the woods. I expect more of those chests in this area have camo clothes in them than the beautiful handmade things they were meant for! My husband fishes but isn't a hunter so there are some beautiful handmade linens in mine. I have used them but not much. They have become more treasures and heirlooms than useable items in my mind.

I should take these out and put notes on each indicating what I can remember about the maker and approximate dates. The poster who is still using her great grandmother's divided bag should put a note with it indicating where it came from. It would be a shame if many of these things appeared "old fashioned" to those who clean up and clear out after us and went to the dump for lack of knowledge. On the other hand, I hope some of my quilts are so worn out from use that that's the only place left for them to go. LOL!
Old 02-22-2014, 08:14 AM

don't forget the new trend for reuseables. My niece had me make a dozen dish cloths and hem some cheese cloth for her. Now she wants to know can I crochet some potholders and scrub cloths for her. She has my sisters hope chest. Only she always " Hoped to be Happy!!" thanks for this thread!
Old 02-22-2014, 11:19 AM

my 'hope chest' is a Lane I received when I graduated from high school in 1958. Has keepsakes in it, clothes I made for my daughter when she was young, sweaters my MIL made for my sons, my wedding dress and my majorette outfit. Memories. My grandmothers 'chest" came with her from Norway. I have it filled with old quilts of hers. My DIL has my mothers "chest" It is not fancy but she loves antiques. She uses it for storage in her living room. Fun to see it is being used and loved. I make dish towels for my kids, my oldest granddaughter asked if I could make her a T-shirt quilt for her graduation. She is 16 so by then I should be able to conquer that task.
again thanks for all your ideas.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Why not tell the grandkids that you would like to start making some things for them to use in their future lives. Ask what their tastes are and what they would like to have. Ask if they have a place to keep the things you make, or if you should keep them until they need them. It sounds like a great way to stay in touch with the grands, and they will also be more likely to tell you what they would like RIGHT NOW if they know you are looking for projects.
You have great suggestions! Dunster
Old 02-22-2014, 03:26 PM

Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas. My idea was to try to stay with pretty much basic and neutral colors; beige,
white etc. I just love this site; hope everyone feels included and appreciated as I do.

Dorrie
Old 02-23-2014, 03:25 PM

My 16 year old cousin is busily filling her hope chest which her father made her for her last birthday. There are some folks out there who like the idea of a hope chest, so have at it.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:59 PM

I have started to make lap size quilts for each holiday thru out the year for each grandchild. I have asked their mother to put them away, after I wrap in tissue paper and put their names on them for when I am gone. One for Easter, Halloween, Christmas and one for no special day but for them alone. I am having fun doing it. I hope some day they will cherish them. Mine are all appliqued.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:16 PM

I would just make a couple of quilts for each grandchild instead of a bunch of other types of gifts. Make one snuggle quilt for the couch and one for a queen/full size bed.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:40 AM

Is it ok to put quilt in a cedar lined hope chest? Ihave been hesitant to do this. I would love to though. It would be a great place to store them.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:42 AM

Young ladies should also "save" other things that don't fit in a hope chest.

Sandy