Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
which is more important? >

which is more important?

which is more important?

Old 02-24-2014, 05:39 AM

I'd vote for cutting table, too. Like you said, you can make a removable pressing too for the table, but not vice versa. Enjoy your new room!
Old 02-24-2014, 05:39 AM

Hmmm! Choices, choices! Why do they have to be so difficult? The largest pieces I cut fit on my 24" cutting mat. The largest pieces I press are the whole quilt top. Cutting on the end of the sewing table seems like enough space to me. But when it comes to having space to spread out a quilt top, it seems that a larger board would be awesome. I suppose it all depends on your own personal needs.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:54 AM

Cutting area definitely!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i prefer the large cutting station, which is what i have. to iron, i have a small table top board which i set on one end of the cutting station. if i have to iron yardage, i have a large ironing board in a storage closet.
This is what I have too and it work great.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by azwendyg View Post
Well, first of all, your sewing room redo sounds wonderful!

It it was me, I'd opt for a large cutting table and put an ironing surface on top of it when needed. You can make a portable ironing surface by covering a piece of OSB or plywood with with a layer of batting and then muslin. That way you can set it on top of your cutting table when needed.
That is exactly what I do, and I love it. The best of both worlds. I made replaceable muslin covers for the board, so I don't have to restaple them it they become stained. Mine is 4 ft. x 2 ft. so I can iron the entire width of the fabric in sections.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:29 AM

I'm going to throw my vote in for a cutting table as well. I don't have room for both so I have a "normal" ironing board but a nice cutting table .

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

By all means go with the "ginormous" sewing table. (love your description). I just have a small sewing area in my bedroom where my machine is on one craft table, then I have a larger folding dining table (like they use for banquets, tables for kids in Sunday School, for crafts, etc.) and have a larger rotary mat on that table. For pressing blocks I made an approx. 18 x 24+" that I made from 2 pieces of very, very heavy & sturdy cardboard. I added batting and Insul-Brite with a muslin cover. When I need to press blocks or small items that need pressing, it is large enough to go over the space between the 2 tables, then I just set it down when I'm done. When I'm ironing large pieces of fabric (I am one of those quilters who pre-wash their fabric before using it!), I set up my ironing board next to my dining room table and watch TV while I iron - makes it seem to go a little faster. That works for me, as I hate to iron clothes unless absolutely necessary, but I'll iron yards and yards of fabric. Go figure!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:11 AM

Several years ago I purchased an unfinished rolling kitchen island from either Lowes or another such store. I then purchased a piece of plywood the same size as the top of the island. That I covered with batting and then that silver ironing board cover that comes by the yard. I stapled the whole thing together and set it on top of the island. This gives me a large pressing surface and just by laying a large cutting mat on to of it I have a cutting surface also. I make about 20 Linus quilts a month and usually make them 1 1/2 yard by the width of a childish print fabric. Cut a width of flannel to use for backing and then layer with batting and safety pin baste. I even marked the edge of the board surface for the exact size I usually use so that all I have to do is lay down the fabric, notch it for tearing where I have it marked on the ironing surface and rip away. I usually make those envelope style and birth them after serging three sides. I then pin baste them again and machine quilt about 4" apart over all finishing with a self border by stitching about a half inch inside of the edge all the way around. The island has a drawer the length of the top under the top where I can store stuff and a shelf at the bottom for more storage. I don't remember but the whole thing I am sure cost me less than $100 and I was able to assemble it myself. I stapled the ironing top with it's batting to the plywood.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:13 PM

I vote for the cutting station. I store my ironing board and a large board to rest on top of it in another place to pull out whenever I need to press things.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:13 PM

I have a large table that I use for cutting and, when I want to iron, I place my large ironing board on top of the table. I have a rectangle ironing board without legs so it's easy to place on top of the table when I need it. Otherwise, it just leans up against the closet door.