Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrappy quilts >

Scrappy quilts

Scrappy quilts

Old 02-24-2014, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

I choose fabric by value for scrappy quilts. I don't care what color the scraps as long as there is lots of contrast.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:04 AM

I, too, cannot just go totally random scrappy, but I sure love the quilts of those quilts that are done that way. I can be fairly loose with my crumb block quilts...you can see my quilts here. At least I hope the link works. The meaning of scrap quilts has evolved for me over time. My mom made true scrap quilts...she was lucky to buy enough yardage to make sashing and have for a backing. Her tops were made of scraps of fabric left over from dresses she made us girls and herself. And scraps from a sewing factory every now and then.

Now I consider a scrap quilt anything that is not planned...with a variety of fabrics. It doesn't matter to me if the fabrics come from leftover projects or from fabric collected over a period of time just to have.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:07 AM

I cannot do a truly scrappy quilt - the randomness makes me nuts. And I'm not a huge fan of scrappy quilts either ... to each his or her own, though.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:28 AM

I enjoy looking at my totally random scrap quilt as I see in it all the different projects the scraps came from. But I would hesitate to give a scrappy quilt to anyone unless sure they could tolerate it. They are not for everyone.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:52 AM

I love the look of many scrappy quilts. When it comes to making one, I freeze. As someone who totally missed the "anything goes" of the 60s, I have problems just choosing a few fabrics for a particular pattern. In one of my UFO boxes, there lurks what should be a wonderful bargello. It will probably never get finished as the stress generated isn't worth it. So all you wonderful quilters, please keep making and sharing scrappy quilts for those of us who blanch at the site of a mystery bag of fabric. Joyce in DE
Old 02-24-2014, 12:08 PM

I also love making scrappy quilts - they are so fun to make, but I don't seem to use up my scraps at all - they seem to multiply overnight!
Since I do have so many scraps, I can control the look of the quilt . Sometimes I make blocks all in one color way, other times I just make it as it comes out. They are all pretty.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:01 PM

I think that scrappy can be that bag of scraps you have. The most fun scrappy was when I just when I grabbed a piece no matter the shape and sewed it, then cut into squares and sewed. Some of the squares were so ugly, I thought I might have to throw them away. It is a very happy quilt.

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas View Post
I've been looking at pictures of "scrappy" quilts and many of them don't fit my definition of scrappy. When I think of scrappy, it means grabbing whatever is in a scrap bag filled with odds and ends and putting it into the project somewhere. I have seen the term "controlled scrappy," but it seems to me that if you are planning colors and layout, you may not really have a "scrappy." If the definition of scrappy is just using what is at hand, that's one thing. If it means using leftovers from a particular project, that's another. I'm looking at two one gallon bags of scraps from dozens of projects and am thinking of using them to make a couple of strip quilts. But I'm not sure I can randomly put those strips together. It might turn out to be chaotic unless there is some unifying color. I would appreciate knowing what you think about scrappy. froggyintexas
Old 02-24-2014, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
There are no rules and no quilt police. You can define scrappy any way you want, and it may be different from what someone else calls scrappy.

I couldn't put completely random fabrics together. I would have to have some control over the fabrics. That's just me. Do whatever makes you happy.
I TOTALLY agree with IrishNY. I have too also have control over what goes where. I would go NUTS if the same fabric was next to the same fabric !!
Old 02-24-2014, 01:21 PM

I like scrappy but tend to like it somewhat controlled. I buy a lot of fat quarter bundles and other pre-cuts, so my projects have a lot of variety but all go together. So..for the scraps of these I separate the cool colors from the warm colors, each have their own tub and batik scraps are all together in a tub. I end up with tons of cool colored scraps to make a quilt from and lots of warm scraps for a quilt also...but I don't like mixing the warm and cool colors together in a scrappy quilt...lol..drives me crazy! BUT...in the batiks...all of the ones I have are cool colors, so no need to separate them
Old 02-24-2014, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

[ATTACH=CONFIG]464298[/ATTACH]

Try the Spider Web pattern. It is strip pieced and has a background that will unify the whole quilt. Here is a small sample that I am working on. It is for Halloween.
peace
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04812.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	464298