Finally back to post a picture. =P

[ATTACH=CONFIG]464394[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	quilt.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	464394  
Old 02-24-2014, 11:37 PM

Congratulations on your first quilt! I agree you tube great way to learn bindings , almost anything! I like the analogy of folding like origami! I do fold the corners like that!! Keeps them sharp n clean !! Good luck! Show pictures!!!
Let us know if you figure the walking foot issues!! :-)
Old 02-24-2014, 11:58 PM

http://quiltingtutorials.com/all/ult...ding-tutorial/ The awesome tutorial of binding from MSQC

Jem, your quilt and the baby princess are both beautiful!!!
Old 02-25-2014, 12:59 AM

I wanted to add that since you used flannel on the back, it wouldn't slide as easily. Just a note. Next time you will find it easier if you don't use flannel on the back.

As to the corners. For a couple of years, until I had the nerve to try (somehow I thought it would be hard) I just did my corners--not. I bound one side, cut it, then bound the next side, etc...starting and stopping at the corners.

Then, I decided to look at a couple of tutorials on the web (actually I used Leah Day's first), and wow...it looked easier to miter. In the end, it was much easier to miter the corners than to do what I had been doing as I had been dealing with many thicknesses of fabric while doing the corners like I had been doing them because I was turning them back under, etc. MUCH.

But, it turned out beautifully--and don't be so hard on yourself--you can be proud and when you show it to people, don't show them the mistakes/problem areas. People who don't sew won't know.

Last edited by justflyingin; 02-25-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:14 AM
Power Poster

That is a really pretty quilt....and the small person looks very pleased with it (and that's the important bit). I have found you learn something with each quilt you do....you have done a fine job. Just keep creating, practicing and watching as many you tube and bloggers tutes as you can. Pick up a few books from the library and you will be just fine. Look forward to seeing your next quilt.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:50 AM

I agree with earthwalker. Looks like that little cutie pie on the quilt could care less for the imperfections. You made it and she loves it. That's what encourages to make another one. Sounds like your walking foot may be broken or it wasn't hooked up above the bar to raise it high enough. (Just a thought). With every quilt, we learn. I shudder at the thought of my first one. It had flying geese in it so you can imagine the horrors going on there. You did a great job for your first quilt. Don't be hard on yourself, it's like learning any new skill. Only practice makes us better.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:03 AM

We all had to start quilting somehow. I bet your quilt is much better than you think!! Onward to your second now!!
Old 02-25-2014, 04:26 AM

Just think - the first is over. Hear's to wishing you many more and yes, it does get easier. Don't be so hard on yourself. All of us have great hindsight as to what we would have done differently. Just put a note in your head and move on. Congrats on starting to quilt.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:26 AM

Sorry, should have been here's to wishing you...
Old 02-25-2014, 08:26 AM

Hi,
Thank you for posting your photo...your fabric choices play very well together. Not too many lights IMHO. The young girl a darling too. Happy quilting.

Judy in Phx, AZ