Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 02-24-2014, 08:14 PM

QUilter65--I think all the hard work paid off! Your color choices are great!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:15 PM

Quilter, this is beautiful.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:17 PM

Wow, Q65, that turned out terrific. Sounds like you had quite a struggle but it sure is great. Way to stick with it.
I finished mine this afternoon but couldn't get my pic to load. Will try again. It has always worked well with my ipad so I don't know what is up.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:54 PM

Here's mine! Can't wait to see what the next options are but I will be on vacation so it will have to wait a bit. I think I need to get some more of the burgundy in there. A big thank you to those that helped me! I found that using directional fabric was a huge mistake. I gave my seam ripper a workout during this round.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	464393  

Last edited by Pam H; 02-24-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:43 AM

Quilter 65 I love how your block turned out , it's beautiful so far!!

PamH we started with the same block and am curious how different they will end up….I love your colors!

I am not done with mine, but I am getting there. I ran out of the fabric I was using and order a little more, so much for using scraps only . ha ha
Old 02-25-2014, 04:27 AM

Quilter 65, WOW, did that turn out great or what!!!! I'd like to see a larger picture so I could get an idea of how exactly you did your pieces. I just LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

Pam, I"m loving how yours is turning out too. I think the green is a great choice.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:09 AM

YOU DID IT! both of you!!! so interesting so totally different.. and yes working with that directional fabric.. yikes! you give me lots of credit but bravo to both of you making such a different round out of what would have been a truly simple round. I think your amazing!

I think if you want to make your life easier listen to what Jaba has said. IT makes perfect sense. Take your quilt size.. whatever it is and ignore that ending number say 35.5 or 36.5.. and just say my quilt is 35 or 36. Now you know your quilt is say 36. division is then so easy its simple a number that goes evenly into the block. TADA! when your stuck in your head on the .5 part you lose the simple easy math of the whole number. 36 divided by: 2 equals 18 blocks, by 3 is 13 parts, 4 is 9 ... now you know how to get the size blocks your thinking look best on your quilt. its that simple. oodles of worrying right out the window. just do the basic math. and boy I think simple is good and these are indeed simple. My next round is going to be a... oh not yet. almost. sigh. its so simple and fun. you could easily make it controlled and very even toned by using just two colors. You could also use as many colors as you like to make it fun yet easy. oh so many choices! best part: its simple. We are going simple next time so everyone can catch up. please do give things a try. and once again.. ask. its ok to ask. PM either Jan or myself and we will gladly help you if you get stuck. This will be fun (LOL).
Old 02-25-2014, 05:15 AM

MamaHen, I was able to click on Quilter65's picture to see a larger version.

Pam, your quilt is coming along nicely! I agree some of the burgundy in the next round would look good.

I am still working on my 2nd round...it won't be done by the end of the week, but I know what I am doing so at least when I get the time to work on it I have a plan. I just have to make 13- 4" pp'd stars! *just*
Old 02-25-2014, 05:37 AM

Thank you Whitepine! (Wow, this group is great!) I'm going to try the asymmetrical design for my next medallion.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:30 AM

Quilter: Thank you for sharing your design process, always so much fun to see how the project evolves. Love the result! Pam: Agree totally re the burgundy in the next round, will pull the eye from the center to the edge and back. I avoid directional like the plague. Too much preplanning. Congrats everyone, all so different and all so amazing.