Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My crazy cat quilt idea...in progress. >

My crazy cat quilt idea...in progress.

My crazy cat quilt idea...in progress.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:59 AM

Default My crazy cat quilt idea...in progress.

Good luck with your quilt and would love to see the finished version.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:30 AM

What a great idea and great quilt I can't wait to see it done its going to be beautiful.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:37 AM

You're making great progress. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:48 PM

the feather fabric reminds me of a tortie cat's fur., all black, brown, white, greys all together. I also like the cat painted on the cup with the white, red and black...it's very bright and alive. I will be interested in watching your progress. I am a cat lover., I have ten beautiful indoor felines., all rescues.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:01 PM

Wow! Fratcat...I could never get anything done with 10 cats in the house. Bad enough when I am trying to sew and Toby plops down right where I want to cut fabric. Or he lays right behind my sewing machine on the edge of the table and I have to watch that I don't sew his tail! I am making slow progress but it is moving along so here is the next progress pic. I finished the front of the little sleeping kitten and got the whiskers on the peachy colored one. The more I do, the more I learn about doing applique. I have other projects (not quilting related) going on now, too so can't quilt as much as I would like.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	KQ 2-19 (Large).JPG
Views:	280
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	463586  
Old 02-22-2014, 03:43 PM

I set a goal of Sunday 23 to have this panel finished and hip-hip-hooray..I got it done with a day to spare. I feel like Frau Frankenstein though trying to build a cat. I think male and female cats do a better job and probably have more fun. A few muttered words were said while creating...LOL!. Hopefully the other side will go easier as I am slowly getting the hang of what to do..without a pattern. I am thinking of just a random squiggle for the LA lady to do since both sides will be different and she won't be able to quilt around various things. Perhaps the least noticeable thread, too. What do you all think? Remember that the outer border will be cat silhouettes and on the other side, I am thinking just framed blocks, fussy cut, of cat fabric. Forgot to say that granddaughter lives in Nebraska..cornfields and Huskers!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	KQ 2-22a (Large).JPG
Views:	268
Size:	276.3 KB
ID:	463833   Click image for larger version

Name:	KQ 2-22b (Large).JPG
Views:	266
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	463834  
Old 02-23-2014, 06:10 AM

What a great job! Can't wait to see the other side too. Your granddaughter is going to love it. You are so creative and have always been such an inspiration. I do think you are right about having an all over squiggle design for the quilting.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:47 AM

Amazing work!!!! I love the orange tabby cat!!!! I can't wait to see the whole quilt finished! Your GD is gonna love it!!!
Old 02-25-2014, 07:19 AM

OMG you are doing SUCH a wonderful job!!! its beautiful - keep the pictures coming
Old 02-25-2014, 07:41 AM

Clever Idea and very lucky graduate. I have seen fabric which has very large prints of cats, perhaps you could find something like this and fussy cut some of the cats to use for applique. Cats have some much personality. This should be fun just thinking about portraying some of their personality into the "Cats in the Window". DGD had a cat which would jump up on their front door and hang onto the edge of the door's window until someone let him in. His body would stretch out so very long that it was a comical site. She did check out books from the library about cats and some of them had black and white drawings that portrayed various actions of the cats. Something like this might be a good source for inspiration.