Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions please on quilt group dues. >

Opinions please on quilt group dues.

Opinions please on quilt group dues.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:37 PM

Default Opinions please on quilt group dues.

I have recently discovered a wonderful, weekly, small quilting group not far from home. Love the location, inspiration, friendship of all the ladies. But now I am disappointed as I asked a member during my last visit if the group pays dues. I was very surprised by the reply, "Yes, $12 a week"!

I am having trouble understanding and justifying this amount. I know a portion is given to the church for use of the room. Free fabrics are on hand if you want to incorporate them into charity quilts. Beyond that, I need to learn more about what the $$ cover. We buy or bring our own lunch/drinks/snacks. I can afford it, BUT $50/month can buy a lot of fabrics and supplies.

How would you feel about this amount? Do any of you belong to a group with high dues? I occasionally attend another group for $5 each time but it is 65 miles from home ($18 gas roundtrip). I would appreciate hearing others' thoughts on this subject.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:41 PM

Seems expensive to me. I might go every other time... It may also pay for guest speakers, etc. who knows. I would inquire further.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

You've already justified the weekly fees .... $12 is almost 1/2 the price of $18+$5 weekly.

Only you know if you feel you will be realizing value returned for your investment.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

The guild I was going to join charged a fee each time you went til you became a member. Then it was
$25.00 a year. Not so bad. 20 minute drive not bad. Every time you came to the meeting you were to bring a fat quarter and still not so bad. Then after the first meeting, I thought ok I'll join seemed like some nice people. When I went to signup for the membership I was turned down. One gal didn't like any of my work or religious beliefs and political inuendos. What does that have to do with quilting? I wanted to focus on quilts. Well they got $10.00 and a very large piece of my mind. The thing was they invited me!
Old 02-26-2014, 05:59 PM

You said a "small" group so the $ isn't likely going for speakers. Is it possible the person you asked meant to say $12/month or maybe even $12/year? Something doesn't sound right, I've never heard of dues that high.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
The guild I was going to join charged a fee each time you went til you became a member. Then it was
$25.00 a year. Not so bad. 20 minute drive not bad. Every time you came to the meeting you were to bring a fat quarter and still not so bad. Then after the first meeting, I thought ok I'll join seemed like some nice people. When I went to signup for the membership I was turned down. One gal didn't like any of my work or religious beliefs and political inuendos. What does that have to do with quilting? I wanted to focus on quilts. Well they got $10.00 and a very large piece of my mind. The thing was they invited me!
The quilt group I belong to pays 35.00 a year oct. To June one meeting a month. Two.work days a month at 5 $ each. Great fun
Old 02-26-2014, 06:05 PM

Wow, you mean you can be turned down a guild membership because they don't like the quality of your work? That seems awfully snobby. If thats the case, no guild will ever accept me.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:12 PM

One of the quilting groups I belong to meets once a week. No charge. The building is free.
The other meets once a month. We have dues of $20 per year. This $$ is used to purchase batting for our charity quilts. And we get the batting at a discounted rate from the local quilt shop.

Knowing me like I do I would not be willing to pay that amount each week.. unless they wanted to feed me too!
Old 02-26-2014, 06:22 PM
Power Poster

When I went to signup for the membership I was turned down. One gal didn't like any of my work or religious beliefs and political inuendos. What does that have to do with quilting? I wanted to focus on quilts. Well they got $10.00 and a very large piece of my mind. The thing was they invited me!
I would love to join that guild! I would say what they wanted to hear and then be a holy terror once I was a member. I would have a blast.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

The guilds I belong to charge $20, $25, and $30 per year. Each also has events (quilt shows, fabric sales, etc.) to raise additional money, because the dues do not cover the expenses.