Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you decide which features are important? >
  • How do you decide which features are important?

• How do you decide which features are important?

Old 02-27-2014, 10:37 AM
    Power Poster

When I in doubt about two different anythings, I buy the more expensive one. I've never had regrets having more if I had a choice.
    Old 02-27-2014, 11:43 AM
    Power Poster

I would make the decision based on how you are likely to use these features.

For example, if you will want to quilt straight lines on this machine I would think the laser would be extremely helpful. Also if you might be doing fine children's clothing where you want to make parallel lines of decorative stitching.

You need to find out exactly how other quilters use these features, then decide if these features really matter to you.
    Old 02-27-2014, 11:50 AM

This might sound really ... spoiled ... but I've actually thought about buying the lower priced machine and then, if I decide that I just have to have the other features, trading in the one I bought for the more expensive machine. Fortunately, my dealer will give me full purchase price back within a year of buying the first machine. Or I could buy a second sewing/quilting machine with the laser & pen as a second machine next year.

I only get one opportunity every year to buy something "big" - that's in mid-March when I get my bonus from work. So whatever I decide to do this year, I'll have to live with it till next year. That should give me more than enough time to make a decision about the features I don't have ... LOL
    Old 02-27-2014, 11:59 AM
    Power Poster

It's great to be spoiled. You worked for your bonus so enjoy it!
    Old 02-27-2014, 12:18 PM

I was in this same position when I was looking to upgrade my symphony. I was torn between the aria and the crescendo. Essentially the same machine but the crescendo has the laser light and sensor pen. Ultimately I decided on the crescendo because I am a gadgets girl and knew that eventually I would want the pen and laser. Also in my area the price difference was $1000 and the aria didn't come with the extension table and I was told not the digital dual feed foot. Two features that were a must for me and the cost to purchase them was almost $400. Bringing the difference to $600 so for me it made sense to button he crescendo.
    Old 02-27-2014, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Skratchie
    This might sound really ... spoiled ... but I've actually thought about buying the lower priced machine and then, if I decide that I just have to have the other features, trading in the one I bought for the more expensive machine. Fortunately, my dealer will give me full purchase price back within a year of buying the first machine. Or I could buy a second sewing/quilting machine with the laser & pen as a second machine next year.

I only get one opportunity every year to buy something "big" - that's in mid-March when I get my bonus from work. So whatever I decide to do this year, I'll have to live with it till next year. That should give me more than enough time to make a decision about the features I don't have ... LOL

I'd be inclined to purchase the machine without the laser right now and get the sewing table, chair and some fabric. Upgrade next year to the other model at bonus time since your dealer allows this.

You can't beat a good table and a comfortable chair.

Debbie
    Old 02-27-2014, 01:51 PM

Be sure to let us know what you decide...now that I realize you have driven each machine, I have no other advice, but I sure am interested in knowing which you select.

Dina
    Old 02-27-2014, 03:17 PM

I'd buy the top of the line and look around for a bargain on a new desk and chair through out the year. I have used the Dreamweaver 6200D and even though I love to embroider, the laser pen is great for quilting. As long as the table you have now will hold the weight of the machine I would definitely buy it.
    Old 02-27-2014, 03:28 PM

I have a Crescendo with the laser - I absolutely love it. I sold my Symphony after having it just 6 months - have not regretted it for one second. A lot of money for something that you don't "need", but glad I gave in to the "want" this time
    Old 02-27-2014, 04:52 PM

the extra featuresa are worth the extra cost. trust from those of us that use them. you don't needs software right away, have the dealer throw in some extras like the foot pedal