Featherweight Machines Prices

Old 02-27-2014, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
Cause it belongs to his wife.
Perhaps the wife would prefer a more useful machine or something else?

Jon
Old 02-27-2014, 12:38 PM
Jim

Regardless of any other reason, its the opinion of the owner or buyer of said FW, that is worth the price be it the machines lightweight, cute factor or any other reason, they love it and are willing to pay the price. Whatever it is, I wanted one so bad, watched for 6 months and got mine in perfect condition for $75 and I wouldn't sell mine for
$7500
Old 02-27-2014, 03:51 PM

$7500? The hounds MIGHT be worth that much. I'd be tempted
Old 02-27-2014, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
The Singer 301 can be found for less money and are a better machine.
ok, i gotta ask...In your opinion what makes the 301 more desirable?
Old 02-27-2014, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
if you want a small machine there are better cheaper, if you want a quality machine, there are better cheaper, if you want a cool machine, there are better cheaper.
I gotta admit, even with 2 FW in my herd, my go-to travel machine is a 70s Elna Lotus with the fold-down flaps. I paid all of $5 at a garage sale for her. When we retire and have a travel trailer, it will be the one going with me. It has 8 stitches and would mend when necessary. But I take the purple FW to quilting class ... it gets the ahhhs.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:03 PM

Joe,
that is something that I wonder will happen when I get one. I'm not a member of a quilting guild, don't teach classes, or go to shops to sit and piece while talking. I just do this at home, mostly in my living room with my 301 or 99 or even at times my Minnesota treadle.

So the question I have to ask myself is, "Do I really need one?" Hmmmmm
Old 02-27-2014, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by abdconsultant View Post
ok, i gotta ask...In your opinion what makes the 301 more desirable?
Weight as a non-issue unless you figure the 301 might stay put a bit better. They use the same bobbin & the same tension. They both have motors but I think the 301 is a bit more powerful. They both thread about the same. But the 301 has a slant needle so you can see the needle better. The 301 can drop feed dogs. The 301 is a lot cheaper. But that said the Singer 15, 27, 28, 66, 99, 127, 128 & plenty of other older Singers make the same nice even stitches... heavy though. Then as someone mentioned, there are other light weight machines that do a beautiful job. Too many people run in the herd - I guess I tend to think outside the box. I have a beautiful barely used Domestic machine weighs about the same as a FW - probably not worth a whole lot though.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:27 PM

When I was a kid, long, long ago, my neighbor has a FW and I smugly thought to myself, "What a silly, little toy. It bounces all over the table and how can you sew anything bulky (like corduroy bell-bottoms,) with it? I like my 'real' Singer 66. It's a serious machine."

Now that I'm a tad older and a quilter, I do see the positive aspects of a FW and I own 2 of them. First, they're pretty dang cute. Second, they go anywhere and are very light to carry. Third, they are S-I-M-P-L-E! Although, I still think that they bounce all over the table and can't handle heavy fabrics.

Personally, I love the 99 and 99k for a small machine. No, they aren't vertical feed, so they aren't a FMQ candidate, but they're so solid and the stitch just can't be beat. You can also buy about 8 or 9 of them for the price of one 221.

~ Cindy
Old 02-27-2014, 09:01 PM

I'm in the middle of refurbishing my first 221. Bought it for $85.00 from goodwill auction. It worked just fine when I got it but it was not a pretty site. I'm enjoying the work needed and the knowledge that I'm gaining from others that have been where I'm going. I have decided to bring it back to what it looked like originally but I have also learned that if one is painted nearly any other color than black, that they will sell for much more when completed.

Just keep your antenna up and you'll find one that will fit your wallet.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Now that I'm a tad older and a quilter, I do see the positive aspects of a FW and I own 2 of them. First, they're pretty dang cute. Second, they go anywhere and are very light to carry. Third, they are S-I-M-P-L-E! Although, I still think that they bounce all over the table and can't handle heavy fabrics.

~ Cindy
I also have 2 and agree with you except for the bouncing. Mine don't seem to bounce. My favorite is my 15-91, but it is way too heavy to travel with me but my FWs are easy to handle. I just love them! Just added a 301 to the herd, but haven't used it much... I think it is just a case of everyone's personal preference. Like the old question, which is better, Chevy or Ford...