Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Anyone have any good Vegan recipes--main dish etc.?? >

Anyone have any good Vegan recipes--main dish etc.??

Anyone have any good Vegan recipes--main dish etc.??

Old 02-27-2014, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Pollytink View Post
My orthoped dr. urged me to go vegan to lose the weight I need to in order to have hip surgery. Have been researching it and it seems a bit overwhelming! Are there any vegans or vegetarians here?
I make beans all the time (from dry beans). Usually pinto but sometimes lentils. I will add a can of diced tomatoes, onion and sometimes celery. Turns out great to me. I don't add any meat.

I also make taco soup but will use the meat substitute grillers (Morningstar). I love it.

I love vegetables in general and take a daily vitamin (which according to the back includes the B12 vitamin).

Beans are so kind to the budget too and filling.

Serita
Old 02-27-2014, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Retired Fire Chief View Post
I am vegan, for the last 2 years, after being a vegetarian for about 35 years.
Hi! Are you familar with the Engine 2 Vegan program? Am getting his book from the library today to check it and the recipes. Sounds like the program has been good for you, for sure! I'm 80 and am making this change (I hope!) a bit late in life but think it will be for the best. I've been eating a lot of beans/legumes on South Beach and will continue that. I do get 1 cup of greek yogurt a day (with just a bit of berries) which helps. Going vegan I would miss dairy most....has anyone tried the vegan substitutes, e.g. using nutritional yeast instead of cheese?

I steamed a whole pot of veggies today.....broccoli, lima beans, onions, mushrooms, cauliflower, and boy did it smell good cooking! Fixed some brown rice with onions and mushrooms and will have a piece of chicken with it. It's about time to eat and I am hungry!!

Thanks for all the encouragement! I guess there are more vegetarians and vegans here than I thought!
Old 02-27-2014, 09:19 PM

[QUOTE=Pollytink;6600127]Hi! Are you familar with the Engine 2 Vegan program? Am getting his book from the library today to check it and the recipes. Sounds like the program has been good for you, for sure! I'm 80 and am making this change (I hope!) a bit late in life but think it will be for the best. I've been eating a lot of beans/legumes on South Beach and will continue that. I do get 1 cup of greek yogurt a day (with just a bit of berries) which helps. Going vegan I would miss dairy most....has anyone tried the vegan substitutes, e.g. using nutritional yeast instead of cheese?

Hey, Polly, I am reading the Engine 2 book now, the recipes sound wonderful. I fight with fibromyalgia and celiac, both of which are getting worse. I already have to eat gluten and dairy free but seems I need to tweak my food choices even more. My diet will be a flexatarian as I will eat some meat when we invited to a meal or in restaurants since my meal choices are pretty limited when I am not at home. I cook quiona all the time and it is very easy to do in a rice cooker. I use about 1 1/2 times liquid per amount of quiona. The red and white are both good, little different flavor. I also will continue to eat eggs as need the choline and my teeth will only chew a limited amount of nuts.
Wish you the best as you work on healing yourself with food. If you can get the video "Forks Over Knives" from your library, it will inspire you. It is the precursor to the Engine # 2 book.
Lynnefaye from eastern KS
Old 02-28-2014, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by lynnefaye View Post
Hey, Polly, I am reading the Engine 2 book now, the recipes sound wonderful. I fight with fibromyalgia and celiac, both of which are getting worse. I already have to eat gluten and dairy free but seems I need to tweak my food choices even more. My diet will be a flexatarian as I will eat some meat when we invited to a meal or in restaurants since my meal choices are pretty limited when I am not at home. I cook quiona all the time and it is very easy to do in a rice cooker. I use about 1 1/2 times liquid per amount of quiona. The red and white are both good, little different flavor. I also will continue to eat eggs as need the choline and my teeth will only chew a limited amount of nuts.
Wish you the best as you work on healing yourself with food. If you can get the video "Forks Over Knives" from your library, it will inspire you. It is the precursor to the Engine # 2 book.
Lynnefaye from eastern KS
Yes, the Forks over Knives book and China Study are the two the dr. said to read. Got them and they each have a cookbook...got all from the library and may buy the cookbooks. They are really eye-openers. Had my first avacado today and it was pretty good! Just ate with a spoon as a snack. I'm hoping that we don't lose power in this storm that's coming Sun and Monday....they're saying 6-12" of snow which means I'll be snowbound for sure.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:52 AM

I was on this thread looking for an old recipe posted here, and I found your question. A WONDERFUL recipe has been posted on this discussion board, titled: "Chunky Gazpacho...perfect if you have an abundance of tomatoes and cucumbers!" This is a perfect vegan recipe, even with V8 juice. Of course if you are going whole foods vegan, you can juice your own tomatoes instead of V8, and omit the olive oil. This recipe makes a huge amount, but will keep in the fridge quite awhile, about 10 days. Good luck on your journey!
Old 06-21-2014, 11:10 AM

"Skinny Soup" is good for helping with dieting, just don't want much and keeps well in the fridg. This is my version:

1 hamburger patty, lean beef or a chicken breast. I just use 1/2 of the chicken breasts since the chickens are so large, and the breasts can make a big casserole.

1 medium potato, scrubbed and cut in small pieces.

Your choice of veggies; peas, green beans, carrots, onion--others to your liking.

Pre-cooked Pasta of your choice--just a guess as to how much.

Wyler's Broth Cubes --1 cube to a cup of water. I usually make 4 cups for a small batch--6 for a larger batch.

Mix together, add seasonings, and let cook an hr. or so so that the flavors blend well.

This tasted good when I had Swine Flu last Winter, after I finally felt like eating.

***For regular meals, add some cheese and crackers, maybe a piece of pie.
ENJOY!!

Mariah
Old 06-22-2014, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

Here are tons of vegan recipes ...

http://www.seventhdayadventistamersh...ianrecipes.htm
Old 06-24-2014, 05:59 AM

I make a hearty veggie soup that's completely vegan (I am vegetarian). It's the most tasty if you can get really fresh produce (I call it my "farmer's market soup") but grocery store produce will do, too. I love to go to the farmer's market and pick up all the produce and then make a big batch on Saturdays and freeze it in glass bowls to make single serving ready-to-eat meals. Then I have healthy, low-fat, high-vitamin food ready to go all week.

It's pretty easy...I make a HUGE batch, you might want to scale this back...

In your biggest soup pot, dump 2-3 cartons of low-sodium veggie broth. (I buy the organic kind, from Trader Joe's)
Turn the fire on to medium-high.
Rinse a cup-full or so of barley, dump it into the broth. It'll start to cook while you're working on the veggies.
Watch your broth as you work; when it starts to boil, turn it down to where it's just below boiling.

Veggies!
Red or yellow (or any kind) of potatoes are great in this, just add one or two. Scrub and dice them and throw them into your broth water, they'll cook in there. Peel if you wish, I leave peels on for the most vitamins. I like to buy a mix of fingerling potatoes in red, yellow and purple and cut them into quarters. They have very delicate skins and the purple potatoes add some fun color.

Scrub & dice white onion (small one, or half of a large one), some leeks (or more onion), most of a head of celery (I get rid of the leafy bits), and a bundle or two of carrots. Sautee' all of this in your fat of choice (vegetable oil, if you're going vegan; I usually use butter) I make so much of this I have to sautee it in two batches.

Extra veggies: I consider the above list to be the "basics", but I'll add more veggies if I have them on hand - cauliflower is good, shredded greens (spinach, kale) are good too. Sautee them before tossing them into the pot.

Mushrooms! To make it really hearty, get some mushrooms. White button mushrooms are fine but they have the least flavor. If you can get them, my favorite is a blend of crimini, wood ear and oyster mushrooms. Portabellas are good too. After you sautee' your veggies, dump them into the soup pot and scrub, slice and sautee' the mushrooms. Dried mushrooms are good to add variety if you can't get them fresh; follow the package instructions for rehydrating them before sautee'ing them.

As your veggies and/or mushrooms are sautee'ing, add herbs & spices. Fresh thyme is wonderful in this soup but dried works too. I usually use fresh thyme, 3-4 cloves fresh garlic, and a shallow palm-full of celery salt. Use whatever you prefer! DH always adds black pepper to his bowl too. (I don't like it in this soup, but you might!)

Once it's all in the pot take a look and make sure you have enough fluid. I usually don't and add another carton of broth - don't add it cold, though! I dump it into my still-hot sautee pan first and warm it up so it won't kill the temp of the main body of the soup. Plus it gets all the yummy leftover sautee'd bits out of your sautee pan.

Once everything is in the soup pot, crank the heat down to lowest setting. You just want it to stay hot and let the flavors blend for about 30 minutes, and to let enough time for your barley to become fully done & tender. Longer won't destroy it but your potatoes and veggies start to fall apart. It's done when the barley is done!

Voila! Awesome soup is yours!

The more times you make it, the better feel you'll get for what herbs/spices you like best. I make mine a little differently each time and not one tablespoon of it has ever gone to waste. DH & I love this stuff!