Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new to quilting >

new to quilting

new to quilting

Old 02-28-2014, 09:57 AM

Welcome, Welcome, I am teaching myself to quilt too. It's lots of fun if you let it be. Don't stress yourself out it will take awhile to be comfortable. Quilting Board is a wonderful group and you can find as much help here as you'll need.
Everyone is so nice and remember there are no dumb questions. If you don't know, ask!
Old 02-28-2014, 10:03 AM

Welcome, Welcome! I too am teaching myself to quilt. It can be a lot of fun in you don't let it stress you out. This board is full of information and most of all friendly people. You can find out anything you need here if you just ask. My advise is to check out videos on YouTube and Craftsy classes. There is a basic quilting class on Craftsy that is free to take and is very good. I have learned a lot by these two methods. Have fun and good luck!
Old 02-28-2014, 10:35 AM

Raid your closet and others for clothing that is not worn any more. I don't know about you but I have a linen closet full of pillow cases that the matching sheets have been long ago warn out. Some old drapes can be used. Be inventive with anything that has fabric. DO check your fiber content... 100 percent cotton can withstand a hot iron..blends will melt.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:47 AM

I taught myself to quilt years ago. I learned a couple of things. Choose a simple pattern first. Don't be in a hurry to finish it. Take a little time each day, even if it is only to stitch one seam, and eventually it will get done. Do a "tv" size quilt first. I usually make them 5x7 feet. It will be easier to handle and it will get done quickly. Having a finished first quilt will make you happy and want to make more. A too difficult quilt or too big quilt can be discouraging at first.

Don't worry about being perfect. It's no big deal if you cut off the points of stars. The size of the block needs to be the size your pattern calls for. The seams inside the block really don't have to match perfectly. Eventually, you'll learn how to get better at matching seams up.

Don't buy too many doodads right away. Scissors, rotary cutter, cutting mat, a 6x12in ruler will do. You'll need two kinds of thread if you are going to hand quilt. Sewing machine thread and quilting thread for hand quilting. If you are going to quilt it on the machine, you just need sewing machine thread. For piecing, just buy one spool of a neutral color. Everyone has their favorite neutral color. I just use a lightish beige. After you finish your first quilt, you'll know what doodad you would really want and use. I have a zillion doodads that I never use.

Adding borders is an easy way to enlarge a quilt. If you get tired of the block/fabric that you have chosen, or you are just not happy with the quilt, just add a couple of borders and you are done.

Consider tying your first quilt. You will get the quilt done faster. The type of bat is important. If you tie it, I'd suggest a 5oz polyester bat. It will give loft to the quilt and you won't have to make so many ties.

Ask for help along the way. It's better to have advice when you get stuck. There are always more than one way to construct a quilt. You'll eventually find what works best for you. Post on this Board and you'll always get a lot of help fast!

Finally, try to create a mind set that doesn't see doing the different steps of quilting as fun/awful or love/hate. Tell you brain to think of fixing mistakes as simply a part of quilt. Ripping out seams is just a part of quilting. If you hate it, you'll not want to do it and be upset that you made a mistake and have to rip it out. Instead, think "this is part of quilting and I love quilting." Once your mind thinks this way, you won't be so upset, angry, or frustrated that you made a mistake. It's a lot more fun if you don't hate having to do something.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:52 AM

Welcome!

I built a lot my stash from Craigslist. Quilters are offloading items all the time! The "yard sale" board here is wonderful, too.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:41 AM

I find that Wal Mart often has sales from 1.00 to 2.44 per yard. You might have to settle for odd colors or prints but it beats the higher price market, especially if you (like me) consider your self new although I started almost 3 years ago, still I can't always afford the better materials. Also if you have a Jo Ann's, get on their mailing list, watch the local paper for sales and coupons then double up on them. Yesterday I bought 10 yards of fabric that was 10.00 per yard and I only paid a little over 3.00 per yard. I had coupons from their mailing list, I downloaded a coupon, they had this material at 30% off and I bought the end of two bolts which gave me and other discount. I am still learning, I have used, used pillowcases and sheets, will one day make a quilt from my mom's cotton house coats that I have kept since her passing. Welcome aboard and good luck hunting.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:04 PM

Check out the fabric at Hobby Lobby (if there is one near you). Good quality and inexpensive.

Welcome to the board!

Anita
Old 03-01-2014, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by countryflowers1 View Post
I am teaching myself to quilt and where would I buy very cheap fabric until I get where I can use better material once I get used to it? Fabric is so expensive! Thanks for any tips. I just got the mat, rotary cutter, a book and ruler.
One can sometimes get lucky and find decent fabric that is relatively inexpensive.

Do not waste your time using scuzzy fabric - it won ' t hold up.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:46 PM

http://www.marshalldrygoods.com/