Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Are you a HOARDER or a WASTER? >

Are you a HOARDER or a WASTER?

Are you a HOARDER or a WASTER?

Old 02-28-2014, 05:44 AM

I don't save the thread from old bobbins. In the spring I put it out for the birds to use in their nest making. Just like Mitches' Mom.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:56 AM

I use the odd threads on bobbins in the top of my sewing machine when sewing scrap quilts. Who cares what color they are?? When one bobbin runs out, I just put on another one until they are all used up, then back to regular thread and lots of empty bobbins ready for whatever thread I want to put on them.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:55 AM

Now that I have a good supply of bobbins I just keep whatever thread is on it and start a new one if I don't already have one of the color I need. Used to rewind whatever was left onto an empty thread spool. Still may do that if it is a very small amount of a color I don't often use.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:45 PM

My Mom always put multiple colors of thread on a bobbin, she grew up during the depression and it was smart to save every thread then. I don't usually save bits of thread on bobbins, but sometimes I do check to see if that is all the thread I have in that color just in case of a repair needed in that color.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:59 PM

I've don't wind a second color on a bobbin. Never thought of it. I just use one color till it's gone. If I do have partial bobbins, I use them for piecing.
Cindy
Old 02-28-2014, 06:07 PM

My grandmother was a seamstress probably about 1895 - 1910 or so. Frugal must have been her middle name. I found spools with thread on them that she had removed from seams taken in or let out or whatever. I have part of a crazy quilt she made from the scraps of the clothing she made. My mother and her sisters weren't quilters, but there are a bunch of cousins and our kids who are. Hope we never have to be so frugal!
Old 02-28-2014, 06:34 PM

[QUOTE=NopahDesertRat;6600628]My Great Grandmother was thrifty out of necessity. She made nearly all of her clothing. She would try to sew at least one seam every day on a dress or project. When finished with she would leave it in the machine and the next day the new seam would began with only a small amount of thread between seams so as not to waste the thread.]
This reminds me of a person in my guild who is a super quilter. I took a class from him and every time he finishes a seam he takes two little squares of scrap fabric cut from previous projects, and sews them together, then goes on to the next thing he needs to sew. He said it saves thread from having to pull off several inches when you cut the thread on the piece you are doing. I think I got that right. Anyway, he ends up with a box of bits sewn together that he makes into postage stamp quilts or something. I tried doing it, but it drove me crazy. I need to focus on the project I'm doing and frankly I guess I am wasteful of those 3 or 4 inches of thread when you end a seam. I'm a borderline hoarder, and have been trying to work on that. This week I sent an envelope of selvedges and small pieces to someone on this board as I knew I'd never use them. This is a fun thread - pun intended!
Old 03-04-2014, 09:39 AM

I have 3 bobbins for every machine. . . black, white and neutral. Works for me.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:06 AM

I prefer the term collector! Hoarder sounds so reality tv'ish! I just put the bobbins in a bobbin case if there is still thread on them and the spools of thread on a spool rack. Then when I need that color again, I use the partial spool. I don't put more than one color on the bobbin, I just have extra bobbins!

I am new to the antique stuff so I haven't got a system down for that yet. I do know that old thread is a pain to sew with, but I can't bear to throw away the wooden spools.

It is funny in the manual for my Free No. 5, they say: "Don't use cheap basting thread purchased at the bargain counter at one or two cents per spool and expect to do nice work. This kind of thread is not made for use on sewing machines."

I say "Life is too short to use cheap thread"
Sandy
Old 03-04-2014, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by sandy.smith View Post
I am new to the antique stuff so I haven't got a system down for that yet. I do know that old thread is a pain to sew with, but I can't bear to throw away the wooden spools.
Oh don't throw them out! I have a jar that I keep them in for decoration and some people make crafts out of them. There's always a use for them instead of throwing them out. If you don't want them, others will more than likely take them.