Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
This is what fabric looks like before you buy it/100% cotton >

This is what fabric looks like before you buy it/100% cotton

This is what fabric looks like before you buy it/100% cotton

Old 03-02-2014, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the pm telling me about this.

It would be interezting to put a " tracer" on seversl pieces of cotton and record what bappens tp them.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Wow that was interesting. Thanks
Old 03-02-2014, 09:06 AM

Totally fascinating Would love to go to the fields and pick some for a pincushion or two....and for an interesting "piece of art." It must have been extremely backbreaking work. I've seen movies and read books .... but, unfortunately, not seen the actual product. That will definitely be on my bucket list. Thank you for the pictures
Old 03-02-2014, 09:13 AM

This is very interesting. I am an Iowa farm girl so seeing how something is grown is interesting. Thank you for the pictures.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by debs View Post
Great to see the photos! We have the same around here and its always easy to know when the cotton is being picked as it falls off the trucks and covers the sides of the roads with loose cotton, each year I always up some, not sure why just because it is so neat! This year we've noticed that the farmers aroud us are baling it in round bales instead of the loaf bales that fit in those special trucks. Need to find a farmer & ask why they have changed how they are baling.
We also have a canvas bag that is ten feet long that the laborers used to hand pick the cotton. Had a shoulder strap to drag behind them on the ground between rows. When it was full they would go pick more. Now the machines do it and lots less sore fingers from when it was done by hand.
Boy does this bring back memories. I am from Fresno California and man did I pick a lot of cotton. Hard messy work and I used to think that the canvas bag was never going to fill up. You also have to contend with spiders. Always had scratchers all over my hands. Thanks for sharing. BrendaK
Old 03-02-2014, 09:43 AM

Wow! Pretty amazing. Thank you
Old 03-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

thank you for taking the time to take photos and showing us in the northern states whats going on down by you. we have the white stuff too, it's called snow

very interesting to see the product as it goes thru the stages.
thanks again
Old 03-02-2014, 10:11 AM

Love the pics, thanks.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:54 PM
pw6

would love to see that, I think a field trip would be in order..LOL can you image childern getting to see this.. Wow thanks for sharing
Old 03-02-2014, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=pw6;6605467]would love to see that, I think a field trip would be in order..LOL can you image childern getting to see this.. Wow thanks for sharing[/QUOTcE]

Children used to work in the fields. In some places, the may still eork in the fields.