Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Village Idiot vs Bali Wedding Star Pattern >

The Village Idiot vs Bali Wedding Star Pattern

The Village Idiot vs Bali Wedding Star Pattern

Old 02-27-2014, 02:53 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=bali...w=1138&bih=554
Old 03-01-2014, 05:57 AM

I am your sister, The Village Idiot from a nearby village. I have gotten myself into this situation before and here's my advice. 1) Go slowly with decision making 2) Go slowly with sewing 3) Look at all of the possibilities, not just the obvious and comfortable ones (uncomfortable possibilities/fabric choices often add an element of surprise or ZING!) 4) Take your time with it and enjoy the process, knowing that you will have a true work of art when you're done! 5) Mostly just hang in there.....if absolutely necessary, put it aside for a bit and make a plan, like "I will work on this quilt for an hour every Tuesday" then stick to the plan. Once you see some progress and how beautiful it's turning out, you will work on it more. Good Luck, and please post some pictures!!!!
Old 03-01-2014, 07:21 AM

This one seems to be your colors and how can you be wrong following her example? http://www.fineartoffiber.org/2012/2012-184.html
Old 03-01-2014, 06:08 PM

This has been my project quilt for 4 years. I would drag it out and sew for a few days and then away it went for months. This month, I will finally be piecing all the blocks together. I went with a variegated background also. It was all random. I found that it really didn't make a difference, even if I got two of the same fabrics next to each other...it all looks good when done. Just make sure your pieces sew together well when you add the star point pieces. Don't give up...it really is stunning.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:03 PM

I found this site "http://www.quiltworx.com/techniques/bali-wedding-star-construction-tutorial/" (don't know how to make it a link. Hope this helps
Old 03-02-2014, 04:38 PM

I've had this on my shelf for several years, it's my gonna do sometime quilt. I was in Paducah last year I think it was and the quilter had named this Bridezilla. I re thought making it for my niece as a wedding gift. You can do it!!! Just have fun and breathe. Becky
Old 03-03-2014, 08:38 AM

Thank you for the big,clear picture. It looks more like I envision mine than most I've seen.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:46 AM

Thanks Green Mtn. Girl -- I thought I had seen everything posted in the universe on this quilt but must have missed this one. Every little tip helps.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:32 AM

Another Village and another Idiot here...

I bought the pattern and haven't started it yet because I'm freaking out over the fabric choices. Ok, ok... I can just buy the two sets of the Bali Pops in Judy's colors and be done with it. Option 1.

Option 2 would be to use a couple of the jelly rolls I have in the another collection, which I also have extra fabric for because I just like it (The Morris Apprentice by Barbara Backman) http://www.unitednotions.com/fcc_the...apprentice.pdf

Question: The pattern says the quilt is 80x80. If I wanted to make another row of rings because I like my quilts a little bigger, is there enough leftover fabric to do this with the Bali Pops or is there "just enough?"

If there isn't leftover to do this with, that's a lot of extra money to extend the quilt another row, and that's a huge decision I have to make -- just make it as is and love it like that, or use colors of my own and be able to make it bigger.

Did you have leftover fabric with the Pops to make a Queen size plus?

This is before even starting. I can imagine the questions I'll have once I start...

Thanks,

Susan

Last edited by SusanErler; 06-04-2014 at 04:38 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

I just Google the pattern and to me, it looks like a very complicated Wedding ring. Very pretty. But you have a lot of experienced quilters on this board that can help you thru the process. Yes, I believe you as a beginner certainly bit off more than you can chew but we are more than delighted to help you through the process.

1st question is can you sew an accurate 1/4" seam?? That is going to be most important when attempting this kind of complicated pattern. Make some way to mark on your machine bed. I use that blue paint tape to make sure I am on my mark for an accurate seam.

Can you print out a block and the cut small pieces of the pattern and glue (glue stick) them onto the printed pattern block?? Yes if you think another background would work better for you, go for it. This is what I do when I am concern with the placement of colors in a quilt block. You are NOT the village idiot. Let us get THAT straight first. But try to do a sample block even if you have to do more than one so you have a "plan" that you can refer to.

Please keep posting.