Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Amazing applique'd blocks from the estate of a 95-year-old friend of mine >

Amazing applique'd blocks from the estate of a 95-year-old friend of mine

Amazing applique'd blocks from the estate of a 95-year-old friend of mine

Old 03-02-2014, 12:14 PM

That is a great collection of molas. I would imagine you can wash them, since molas originally decorated clothing. Maybe look up the care and feeding of molas on the internet.

Here are some links: http://www.panart.com/molainfo.htm, http://www.panama-mola.com/index-en.htm. You could probably send them an email asking for suggestions on care.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:56 PM

Oh Oh Oh!!!! I lived in Panama for 9 years during the 80's; my husband collected molas. Many molas that we bought were used on the women's blouses so have been washed many times but many were sold new to tourists......you can do a search of the Cuna or some spell it Kuna Indians/ San Blas Islands to see pictures of them. Also check the prices of them on Ebay, etc. as you have a "gold mine". The original molas were reverse applique so there will be several layers of fabric (as many layers as there are colors showing). Some newer ones are more appligue as we know it with decorative stitches added. Looking at the pictures and seeing the edges of the layers, I'm betting that some of these were use in the women's blouses...A large quilt made from these will be very heavy.....I'm making a bed runner from the molas a friend collected while she was there....Just contact me if you have any questions.....
Old 03-02-2014, 01:57 PM

I hope you realize what an incredible treasure you have. Only the Kuna Indians know how to make Molas and it is a technique that has not been shared outside of their culture. Looking at your pictures you have some very old traditional molas as well as ones made for tourists. You could actually spend some time researching what you have and then do trunk shows for guilds and other organizations. I would not make a large quilt from them. You could wash and then have some professionally framed with archival quality materials and air space around them. Possible make a blouse like the Kuna wear add as an accent on totes, or use to embellish a jacket. But spend some time learning about the treasure you have. You are a very lucky lady!
Old 03-02-2014, 02:01 PM

Don't take those gorgeous blocks to the cleaners. I would just assemble them and then wash by hand when finished. Febreeze might help also.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:08 PM

How gorgeous - can't wait to see what you do with them all!

I like the suggestion that audsgirl made in post #6.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:10 PM

try Febreez to remove the odor while you are working on it.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:41 PM

I recognized the materials from my DD going over there last year when she got married. Simply beautiful!!
Old 03-02-2014, 03:43 PM

Holy MOLA!! ( I can't believe I am the FIRST to say that here!! lol !) I bought several while we were in Panama a few years ago. The Kuna Indian ladies use ANY material they can find. One of mine has cotton, poly, a poly blend, gingham and some other fabrics I can't define. Most were made the traditional way by hand stitching and one is done on sewing machine. I just love them.. A guild gal is gonna teach a class on making MOLAS. Hopefully she will wait for me to quit SNOW-BIRDING and teach the end of April..... keeping my fingers crossed as I REALLY want to learn this technique. I framed mine! You are one lucky lady to have all those beauties........
Old 03-02-2014, 04:48 PM

What an amazing coincidence. I completed a king size bed spread from molas the first of the year. I have pictures in my camera which I can post tomorrow. This was quite a job and I named it "The Quilt from H...." It did turn out great. I will be happy to discuss it with you.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:58 PM

Truly a beautiful collection!