Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Straight Stitch Needle Plate for Sears Kenmore 158.841? >

Straight Stitch Needle Plate for Sears Kenmore 158.841?

Straight Stitch Needle Plate for Sears Kenmore 158.841?

Old 02-27-2014, 08:52 PM

Question Straight Stitch Needle Plate for Sears Kenmore 158.841?

Hi all! This is my first post in the vintage section as I recently became the owner of an old Sears Kenmore 158.841. I think for the most part I have it working pretty well - although this is my first ever sewing machine so I'm certainly no expert!

I've been reading about the advantages of using a straight stitch plate, but from looking on searspartsdirect.com, it seems there is not one available for my particular machine. However, it looks like SS plate #15280 (http://www.sew4less.com/product/5943...traight_Stitch) is similar in size and shape to the ZZ plate that came with my machine (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEEDLE-PLATE...-/300843546338).

Has anyone used plate 15280 on a Kenmore zigzag machine? I also read about taping an index card over the plate to cover the wider ZZ hole - is that a workable DIY option?

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-27-2014, 08:59 PM

It won't work....look at the difference in the feed dog slots.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:15 PM

Abbieb,

On the needle plate on the sew4less site the feeddog slots don't match yours/ ones on Sears site. This plate probably won't fit your machine.
Your machine may not have come with a straight stitch plate. Usually interchangeable plates aren't held on with screws. They "clip" on by various methods. The Sears site shows the plate as held on by screws.

Hope this helps,
Cathy

Originally Posted by abbieb View Post
Hi all! This is my first post in the vintage section as I recently became the owner of an old Sears Kenmore 158.841. I think for the most part I have it working pretty well - although this is my first ever sewing machine so I'm certainly no expert!

I've been reading about the advantages of using a straight stitch plate, but from looking on searspartsdirect.com, it seems there is not one available for my particular machine. However, it looks like SS plate #15280 (http://www.sew4less.com/product/5943...traight_Stitch) is similar in size and shape to the ZZ plate that came with my machine (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEEDLE-PLATE...-/300843546338).

Has anyone used plate 15280 on a Kenmore zigzag machine? I also read about taping an index card over the plate to cover the wider ZZ hole - is that a workable DIY option?

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-27-2014, 09:21 PM

Oh, darn, I guess the feed dog slots are an obvious mismatch, aren't they! I'm glad you all are around for advice before I go making a really pointless impulsive purchase!
Old 03-01-2014, 01:54 PM

For most sewing the plate that handles zig zag works fine. You would only really need a straight stitch plate, at least in my estimation, if you were sewing some knits, or very fine fabrics, sheers etc.
I have a straight stitch that came with my Kenmore and I have never in 30 years used it.
Just my 2 cents worth!
Old 03-02-2014, 07:04 PM

There are a lot of sellers on ebay that have parts for all kinds of machines. A lot of parts are unadvertized. You need to ask for what you are looking for. I find lots of replacement parts there.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by kantuckee View Post
There are a lot of sellers on ebay that have parts for all kinds of machines. A lot of parts are unadvertized. You need to ask for what you are looking for. I find lots of replacement parts there.
Good advice. If a seller has parts for your machine listed they probably have the machine they took them from still there. Never hurts to ask.
Rodney
Old 03-04-2014, 10:31 AM

Good idea! I will look into that.