Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you starch fabric? >

How do you starch fabric?

How do you starch fabric?

Old 03-04-2014, 11:33 AM

I am the world's laziest quilter. I have a theory that the easiest way is the best way for me. Most of the time when I am spraying starch, it's prior to layout and cutting therefore, it's usually a decent sized piece of fabric. I like spraying on the top just because I like the feel of a smooth fabric -- doesn't have to be the top, I just like it. I spray what's on the board and what's hanging down. By the time I get to the bottom, the top is about right for ironing w/o flakes. I don't soak it, usually that's not needed. I don't spray and dry it -- that's just another step. Keep It Simple is a great motto.

After ironing, I have another trick for keeping the fabric neat. I put the heavy cardboard rolls from wax paper, plastic wrap or tinfoil over the round cardboard on hangers for pants from the cleaners (release one end, pop on the larger cardboard and replace.) With this large round cover, the fabric doesn't crease as it hangs around waiting for me to use it.

Kay
Old 03-04-2014, 02:19 PM

I don't have the patience to let the starch soak in. I read once to spray your fabric, turn it over and iron the other side. Said it pulls the starch into the fabric and you don't have to wait. Seems to work for me and no flakes, either.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:22 PM

I checked with the county extension agent about this, and they told me that if your starch contains borax, you will not have silverfish, since borax makes starch which they are normally drawn to, toxic to the little buggers. Thank you all for the wonderful advice on ironing since I am about to start a marathon of washing, and starching a room full of fabric.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:17 AM

Wow! What great tricks of the trade. I grew up in the era where we starched almost everything. Haven't been a starcher with quilting but am definitely converted. Thanks for all the very helpful hints.