Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 03-04-2014, 04:50 PM

I wanted to do something different for my next border so I chose a Border out of one of my border books, now I have to decide on color didn't like any of the colors I already have on hand. These colors made the quilt too loud, as soon as I get it finished I will post a picture.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:52 PM

Finally a little progress on mine!

Trying to decide what I want to do next. Know I want it to have some of the Texans fabric in it. Just haven't determined which will look best. Needs to be a fairly good sized block to work right.

First one I tried was too little for this round on the quilt. May work for a later round. Not sure about that. Only made four blocks so no big deal.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	465735  
Old 03-04-2014, 06:05 PM

Think I will do something similar to the center of the main blocks, just slightly smaller.

Trying it out now. . .

Definitely need something in between that chain of helmets!

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	895
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	465738  

Last edited by mom-6; 03-04-2014 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Add picture
Old 03-04-2014, 06:59 PM

Think I will alternate with squares that just have the words, or maybe with a white that has red and blue stars, or maybe even use both. . . Having fun playing now!
Old 03-05-2014, 07:58 AM

Looking good mom-6. There's an optical illusion going on because those newest helmets look smaller than the ones in the center but I'm sure they're just the same. Did you see my post about the quilt store in Kerrville called Creations. It may be too far from you but it was a wonderful store in an old house with rooms that seemed to go on forever.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:08 AM

I started working on the zig zag....oh my. HST's and I do not get along at all. Which is one reason I try to stay away from them, but they make such cool designs. My points never match up, so when I get done and post the pic, don't look to close.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:44 PM

Mom 6, I really like the reversed strip borders that you made. That is so cool. When I did my blocks, I used a different fabric for the fabric next to the strips and the one that lays to the outside. I really like the different look it created. Maybe something like that would create the differentiating look you are seeking?
Old 03-05-2014, 06:00 PM

Thought I'd come on here and see some new photo's....all of you must be playing a bunch and that's called fun! I'm doing the same thing at the moment for a round robin quilt and it isn't even mine....belongs to someone else. Have got to send it on though so better decide pretty quilt. Think I have it but got some math to do, OMG I hate that part. Have fun ladies and be sure to show us when you decide, we're waiting
Old 03-05-2014, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the kind words! I'm liking how this is starting to come together nicely.

White pine - the helmets are the same size but the squares are cut a bit smaller so the face guard of the helmet isn't all there. And that quilt shop in Kerrville you mentioned sounds delightful! Not sure if I will get over in that area any time soon. That's way the other side of San Antonio, at least 5 or 6 hours away.

As to what I'm doing with the current border, I'm going to alternate squares with helmets and either squares with just the words or maybe even throw in a couple with stars. May also put a narrow strip of the blue between the squares and the setting triangles to even out my dimensions and give a little more space between the helmets. They seem too much on top of each other in the picture. Also think I cut my setting triangles a bit too small.

Will be fun to see how it turns out. Don't know if I will get another chance to play with it this week or not.

Really enjoying seeing all the pretty quilts y'all are coming up with.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:50 PM

I tried the staggered piano border but didn't like it...It was just way too busy... After really studying it I went with just a narrow black one...an pleased with it, and am looking forward to what might be the next round..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]465906[/ATTACH]

Name:	Medallion Round so far.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	375.1 KB
ID:	465906