Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Round Robin #10 BlueBirds of Happiness >

Round Robin #10 BlueBirds of Happiness

Round Robin #10 BlueBirds of Happiness

Old 03-05-2014, 09:23 PM

Oh, by the way, Sherry....Jane's quilt is on its way to you. Should get there Friday. Forgot to take a picture...oops!
Old 03-06-2014, 03:37 AM

Should get there Friday. Forget to take pictures
Old 03-06-2014, 04:27 AM

Yvonne, you are the one that blows me away with your hand stitching on applique. You do not need to practice, it is perfection.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by ssnare View Post
Yvonne, you are the one that blows me away with your hand stitching on applique. You do not need to practice, it is perfection.
Thanks for the kind words Sherry. Still want to learn how. Tried it again last night with no success. Have a Quilters Choice Baby Lock. Do you use special thread or needles?
Old 03-06-2014, 07:46 AM

Some times I use silk thread. The white was just dual duty. I use what ever thread I have. No special thread. Regular 82/20 needle. Have you tried the light heat and bond ? Draw your pattern on the smooth side, iron it to the back of your fabric. Cut it out, take paper off and press it to where you want applique. Then stitch around with blanket stitch/hem stitch or other decorative stitch. Sometimes I have had it pucker too.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by ssnare View Post
Some times I use silk thread. The white was just dual duty. I use what ever thread I have. No special thread. Regular 82/20 needle. Have you tried the light heat and bond ? Draw your pattern on the smooth side, iron it to the back of your fabric. Cut it out, take paper off and press it to where you want applique. Then stitch around with blanket stitch/hem stitch or other decorative stitch. Sometimes I have had it pucker too.
Thanks. Will give it a go !
Old 03-10-2014, 11:13 AM

Did you get Jane' s quilt Sherry?
Old 03-10-2014, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
Thanks for the kind words Sherry. Still want to learn how. Tried it again last night with no success. Have a Quilters Choice Baby Lock. Do you use special thread or needles?
I also have the Quilters Choice Baby Lock!! I was attempting to do some top stitching AND using the walking foot but had no success. It worked fine if using a straight stitch but wouldn't let me do anything else. But it is way too much fabric to use the regular foot. Have you tried and succeeded Yvonne?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
I also have the Quilters Choice Baby Lock!! I was attempting to do some top stitching AND using the walking foot but had no success. It worked fine if using a straight stitch but wouldn't let me do anything else. But it is way too much fabric to use the regular foot. Have you tried and succeeded Yvonne?
I'm not sure I understand Janet. You are saying you are trying to top stitch a quilt that already has the batting and back added to the top, right? I've not tried top stitching but I have machine quilted just using straight lines using my walking foot with no problem. I usually use Hobbs 80/20 for my batting. I don't really like using the walking foot though because, at least for me, it's hard to see where I'm quilting, especially when I'm trying to do a scant 1/4" when I'm putting on a 1" border! I, also, hand baste the quilt sandwich fairly close before I start. Tried safety pins but didn't care for that method. Did you buy the Quilter's Choice Baby Lock Workbook"? It's a looseleaf notebook that shows how to use the various attachments, etc. and WASN'T included with the machine!!! Cost me an arm and a leg and, as far as I'm concerned, should have been included with the machine. At any rate, let me see if I can find anything in it that might help you. OK?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:30 PM

Couldn't find anything in that book so went to the manual that did come with it. It says to place one hand on each side of the presser foot, and hold fabric taut while sewing. Also, said to sew at a speed between slow and medium so you might try setting the speed at the first arrow. Double check to make sure machine is threaded correctly as well as bobbin. Let me know if any of that works.