Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Astonishing things about my scraps... >
  • Astonishing things about my scraps...

• Astonishing things about my scraps...

Old 03-07-2014, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
    if they don't work together on one side, you can always use the BACK side! i'm sure you'll think of something to use them for....
    True! We paid for both sides. Use them however you can.
    Old 03-07-2014, 06:34 AM

Just think of all those lovely smaller/miniature quilts you could make with those scraps!! Find a space on one of the walls on your home and dedicate to hanging a small quilt there and change it out from season to season. So much fun to make and still a feeling of accomplishing something when you get done.

Think potholders, hot pads, candlemats, mug rugs, etc. The possibilities are endless!

Also, small scraps are a great way to get started playing with foundation pieced blocks. Sounds like a whole lot of fun to me! Enjoy playing with those scraps and seeing what you can come up with.
    Old 03-07-2014, 09:51 AM

I keep all scraps and have bags full. I am sure some are to small to do anything with but for some reason I can't bring myself to throw them away. Maybe some day I will find a use for them. I got the bright idea one year to put a bunch of them out for the birds and squirrels to line their nest. They took every one so I put out more and they took those also. A few nights later we had a very bad wind storm and the next morning my scraps were all over the neighborhood in bushes and trees and hanging off fences. I am sure many neighbors wondered where in the world they all came from.
    Old 03-07-2014, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by crafty pat
    I keep all scraps and have bags full. I am sure some are to small to do anything with but for some reason I can't bring myself to throw them away. Maybe some day I will find a use for them. I got the bright idea one year to put a bunch of them out for the birds and squirrels to line their nest. They took every one so I put out more and they took those also. A few nights later we had a very bad wind storm and the next morning my scraps were all over the neighborhood in bushes and trees and hanging off fences. I am sure many neighbors wondered where in the world they all came from.
    Cute story!
    Old 03-07-2014, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Prissnboot
    So, if you consider how much fabric costs: over here you'll pay 15 to 20 € per meter, there is a little treasure hidden in all the little scraps... And so I must think what to do with them....

I was present for a trunk show by Bonnie Hunter, and she made this exact point - just because the piece of fabric is less than 1/4 yard doesn't mean it's worthless...and she has many **FREE** quilt patterns on her website, with great instructions...just read through them a couple of times and look at the photos before starting any pattern so you don't spend hours unsewing....ask me how I know this!
    I agree. Check out Bonnie Hunter's website: quiltville.com. She has freebies and tons of ideas. I am sure there are others, but she is the most well known for scrappy quilts.
    Old 03-07-2014, 01:24 PM
    pw6

never throw them out, you will need them in so many things, I keep anything over 1 1/2" square period. I have made entire king size quilts from scraps..
    Old 03-07-2014, 03:02 PM

Wow - that's really interesting how much you can have invested in just scraps. Makes you look at them in a whole new way!
    Old 03-08-2014, 04:49 AM

I love scrappy--However, before you agree to making a "scappy" quilt for a non-quilter,be sure to set a price and explain that scrappy = variety, NOT garbage
    Old 03-08-2014, 06:58 AM

At least $10 or 11 --and sometimes wen you find the color you really need, it can be $12.99!
    Old 03-08-2014, 07:05 AM

I even save my dog ears... I saw a cute lamp with a mason jar full of dog ears... so colorful... I am a long way from a full mason jar.... but someday......