Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Waste or Not? >

Waste or Not?

Waste or Not?

Old 03-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

I throw my scraps under 1-1/2" x 3 - 4" in the trash and not one pang of guilt!!!
Old 03-07-2014, 02:56 PM

I don't consider that much waste at all. I did a test "cutting" rotary cutter vs AccuQuilt Go and found that when I sqared up the fat quarters and had to keep doing that, I had almost as much "waste", plus my cuts were not as good as with the AQ-Go. I love my AQ-Go!

P.S. I like the idea of putting the scraps in a pillowcase for pet beds that Gladmaker mentioned in her post (#8).
Old 03-07-2014, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Gladmaker View Post
I save my scraps and give them to a fellow quilter. He fills an old pillowcase with them and sews the end closed. He gives them to the animal shelter for pet beds. He says when they get dirty, they can either be washed or thrown away. This looks like a good use for these scraps.
Bob
I use the too small scraps for pet beds for the animal shelter also, there is a great need, might be the only comfort for a shelter animal.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:11 PM

Grand daughter & I were using my GO! this evening & sorting out what left over scraps "pieces" to save or throw away (under 1" toss) after reading this post I just went & told her "New Rule, anything that is too small for scrap is now saved in a container for stuffing pillow cases for animal shelters" her response..."I'm up for that Gammy"!
Old 03-07-2014, 10:02 PM

Not waste! I recently started to use the thin pieces of fabric and selvages to tie my fabric up after it is washed, dried,measured and folded as flat as I can get it. (I have allergies and must wash my fabric or suffer the consequences!) I iron the washed fabric when I'm ready to use it.

I attach two address labels midway on the thin strips, one on each side of the strip, glue side to glue side, then write the yardage on one side of the label. When I'm auditioning a fabric for a quilt, I can just take it out, see if I like it and, by looking at the label, immediately know if I have enough for the quilt.

If I use part of the fabric, it's easy to record how much is left. I just cross out the old yardage length on the label and write the new yardage length on it, then tie up the remaining yardage and return it to stash.

I also use the thin strips to 'tie up' several fabrics for a kit. The label notes that it is a kit and the length of each piece of yardage. You can put multiple labels on the thin strips if you need to.

Secretly, I'm hoping this organization thing will help cure my habit of 'forgetting' to put away fabric that was rejected during the audition phase!
Old 03-07-2014, 11:34 PM

I have used the skinny strips to tie up my tomato vines in the summer. Doesn't take many though. I think I'll check with our local animal shelter about making dog beds with the scraps I have left.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:28 AM

a few possible pieces for a crumb quilt, many to tie up veggies, and then the pet bed.........all of the above. I have also tossed them in the yard for bird nests, but if the birds don't cooperate the lawn mower shouldn't either.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:45 AM

These scraps look very pretty in a large glass jar or wine bottle as a decoration in your sewing room. We first saw these in a quilt shop we visit.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:56 AM

OMG you could create lots of things
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...23&FORM=IQFRBA

if you don't want , Im interested in them. I could try making chennile.

Last edited by localgirl1; 03-08-2014 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:58 AM

I love using the AQ-Go and or Studio for accurate cutting. I find pre-planning reduces the amount of waste. You can always layer scraps onto an AQ die--such as the 1 1/2 strip cutter and have lots of pieces for string piecing.