Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric prices >

Fabric prices

Fabric prices

Old 03-08-2014, 10:28 AM

At our shop most fabrics are $11.00 to 12.00 a yard....some a bit more......some a bit less.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:08 AM

That's why I order from CT. Good quality and reasonable prices.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:29 PM

How lucky you are, here in Australia we pay on average $22.00 to $28.00 per metre, sometimes we get on special $14.00 a metre if we are lucky, that is why when the Australian Dollar was on par with the American Dollar I bought lots of my fabric from the US.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:38 PM

Most of my quilts are not designer but truly scrappy! I have a modest stash and I try not to buy anything I don't need because of the cost. I'm going to check out a couple of places you guys have been talking about, like Marshalls for a quilt I want to make for our bed. I want it to look really put together in two or three colors so I'll be buying the material for that one. I find things at yard sales, estate sales, thrift stores and Goodwill. I bought out a ladies sewing room because she was not going to sew any more. Have to search for good bargains. I try to stock up a little on the good sale days at JoAnn's. We have on LQS in town but she's way to high for me. I would love to shop there but can't afford it.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:40 PM

Living in Maine the best place to shop for bargain fabric is any Marden's store. Most prices are $4.99 or lower, designer material but out of date.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

I shop for 95% of my fabric at Marshall's. I never pay more then $5 a yard. Most of it is $ 2.98 a yard. Marshall's making a profit so that tell you right there how little it cost to produce name brand fabric. I can't do anything about slave labor overseas, it's their culture and no one from another country can change that. The young adults from there that leave to obtain higher education haven't been able to change the culture there on return.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:21 PM

Here in So. CA- Orange County, we have several LQS but the prices for the fabrics are $11-$20 per yard. Long Beach, CA has some discount fabric stores but it's an hour away from me. JoAnn's are everywhere, but the stock is very picked over. I was in there for an hour last week trying to find gray and yellow cotton fabric for a baby quilt. I found some but almost nothing that went together. No bolts left of plain gray dark or light. Hobby Lobby- same problem, but they had a darker gray but not a pretty tone, it matched nothing.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:08 PM

Hi, there Skratchie
I went to LQS last year and average price was $10/yd; fat quarters $3.00/ea. I walked the entire floor pricing before I purchased just to see what other shops had. I did not go to LQS this year the training classes were very expensive. In my area (Maryland) the average price at local quilt shop 10.99/11.99; JoAnn ranges 6.99-14.99 depends on what you want and they always have sales/coupons. - Vontina
Old 03-08-2014, 04:22 PM

Try www.5bucksayard.com if you want colorful yardage for backings at $5/yard or less. They did have some 108" backing but recently sold out. They usually sell the 108" for around $7.99- $8.99 yard.

With the cost of cotton fabric these days (my LQS around $11.99 - $14.99) I always buy my fabrics on sale, markdowns, online stores that sell LQS quality fabrics for less. I like my LQS quality at Walmart prices

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
The cost of the backing will kill you every time if you use the designer fabric. I have found that the wide back white or cream muslin works fine with just about every quilt I make. If I want a darker fabric, I buy a Kona cotton solid from Hobby Lobby for $5 a yard.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:24 PM

We have two Joann's - one that is small and one that is larger. The quilting fabric is pretty blah at both of them. I do buy Kona cottons there (and use my coupons for them), but otherwise ... I don't really like the look of most of what they carry, and what I do think is pretty feels really rough. I always look, though. Last week I saw some autumn fabric ... it was all cheap feeling, and a lot of it was glittery (why, oh why do manufacturers think we want a lot of glittery holiday fabric?!). Then I stepped around to the other side and there were several patriotic fabrics - cheap feeling (when I say cheap feeling, I mean so rough you could use it to exfoliate your face) and tons of glitter. I have better luck at Hancock's but their prices are usually in the $12/yd range too.

Like I said, I CAN afford to shop locally and buy the more expensive fabrics, so I know I'm really lucky. And I know we're luckier than most of the rest of the world because fabric in other countries is really expensive. I do throw business to my locals, because I believe in them and want them to succeed, but the owner's taste isn't really the same as mine, so they have a lot of fabrics I wouldn't buy (I am not a fan of batiks, but apparently the owners of my local ARE) and I end up on the internet a lot buying fabric. But, since I am buying from smaller shops much of the time there, too, I am pretty happy about it. I'd rather give my money to smaller companies like Fat Quarter Shop and Fabric.com than Joann's or Hancock's, because it's cheaper and the quality is better.