Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 03-10-2014, 11:15 AM

Sustraley and Thimble: Everytime I think a round is perfect and where can you guys possibly go, you add another great round, and I think the same thing. Brat: Thank you for posting the gorgeous pictures. Joining in this quilt along is so incredible, its like taking a class from a really good teacher. I've been kind of missing in action, been uncharacteristically neurotic about my decision. I think I need to just jump in, if nothing else I will learn what not to do.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:44 AM

thimblebug that is so pretty, love the colors too, oh yea, also grand puppy.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:17 PM

These are great! I'm working on the herringbone border & then have to decide which border for this month. I know I'll need some opinions to decide.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:55 PM

They look so beautiful!!! I don't know about being teachers but Linda and I have been in quite a few round robins this year so we have seen lots of different quilts and different borders. Just passing on some of the "stuff" we learned. Remember if you see something that you would really like to do let us know and then we'll see if we can work it out. Not a promise but will try really hard if that counts.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:38 PM

Sue and Thimble--those are wonderful. Such a great idea. And Brat, those blocks all from that little hourglass! Amazing.
Border Buddies: I beg your indulgence while I ask some advice about another project I am working on. As someone said, sometimes you just need another set of eyes, and in my case, another brain or two. Here is my situation. The flimsy is 70 x 70. I need for it to be longer. Another row of blocks, which measures 14 x 14 is not possible. I have run out of the green fabric in order to make them all symmetrical. So I have considered a 2 inch sashing of black top and bottom with a row of 7" pp triangles and one picture shows a partial block. Then I would go around with a narrow aqua sashing and add something else. Option 2 is to use the 4" inch of border than is on the picture with the flowers that I have used in the alternating blocks. That would get me to 80 x 70. Then here is my quandry. The pattern calls for a border of symmetrical material (Jinny Beyer) stripe. My fabric is from the peacock line and I don't have any symmetrical border fabric in the whole top. My question is would it look completely stupid to use the flowers for the outer border? This material is used in the body of the flimsy so it is color coordinated. Option 3: Something I haven't yet thought of and that is what I am asking about. Here are the pictures and THANKS so much for giving me help.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]466615[/ATTACH]

Quilt top above 70 x 70.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]466616[/ATTACH]

Picture of a partial block that is paper pieced. I know that I would have to use materials with a stronger contrast.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]466617[/ATTACH]

Close up of one of the blocks that has I think 84 pieces in it. I have put a lot of time and effort (although not always successfully) into this quilt and I don't want to just throw something around the edge and call it good. Although I have considered it strongly. This has gone on for a while.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]466618[/ATTACH]

This is the material to which I referred. The band would be put on top and bottom. Then I would surround all with an aqua strip and possibly a black sashing. Then add the flower part of the fabric and miter the corners. Thoughts? Or just confused like me? Thanks for ANY input.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3881 (Small).JPG
Views:	275
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	466615   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3880 (Small).JPG
Views:	277
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	466616   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3882 (Small).JPG
Views:	264
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	466617   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3885 (Small).JPG
Views:	344
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	466618  

Last edited by Quilter 65; 03-10-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:00 PM

Your quilt top is gorgeous! Have you tried to get more of the green fabric? Maybe someone on this board would have some.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:08 PM

Okay ladies here is what I have so far. Still need to add eyes to my mice haven't decided whether I will use buttons or just embroider an eye. I was going to glue eyes I have but second thought that, as they might melt when put in dryer.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:15 PM

Quilter: First of all want to say that your quilt is truly gorgeous, the colors are truly my favorites. The fact is, when I saw your border fabric I really had to laugh. Your quandary is so similar to mine. If you closely at my project you will see I have used the border in both the paper pieced center and the thin border around the center. I'm not making my quilt longer but I am thinking of using the non-floral strip around my center with either a black or a blue border on it. Just can't figure out if it will be too busy, I truly want to stop the eye at this point. The other option is a simple one color border to stop the eye and save the border for another round. Not much help, but I do keep coming back to the idea of a solid line. I think yours would look marvelous with a solid black frame all the way around and either pieced blocks on the ends or just the border print.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:23 PM

Badder: I somehow missed when you added the green and blue borders. The purple sashing around the squares and the center is really striking. Excited to see the mice added.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by sustraley View Post
Here is mine that I finally got last month's part finished. I did not like the first set of fabrics I used, so I started over. It now measures 34 inches. I want to put the simple border---Jaba's #2 for this month. My question is, what size should I make it end up as when I get this simple border on?
How cool-looking is this?????? Great work!!!