Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I expect a new in box machine? >

Should I expect a new in box machine?

Should I expect a new in box machine?

Old 03-10-2014, 04:02 PM

I know it wasn't new out of the box because I stopped by there last week on my way home from somewhere else. They had that machine, the Janome 15000 available to test but they said I should also look at the Pfaff Creative Sensation. They didn't have the Pfaff for me to try because someone had bought it (their demo model) so they asked me to come back today to try out both machines. So the Pfaff was new out of the box but the Janome (which is the machine I want) was at their shop for a while- and who knows how long! So this must be their policy.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

I'm the odd one out. I wouldn't be concerned about whether it was a floor model or new in the box, as long as there was no damage to it and it still looked new. After all, even new cars have usually been driven a bit. The warranty would start the day you bought it, not the day it was taken out of the box. I would also have more confidence that the floor model had been tested and was functioning correctly. I would definitely go for the cheaper price, but if the local store would match it - and if they had a good reputation for service - then I would stay local. Of course the local store can't avoid charging the sales tax, and that is a hefty amount, so I would probably be driving. (So happy I live in Oregon - no sales tax!)
Old 03-10-2014, 04:35 PM

I want to make something aware to you. If you buy the new machine for less. If it Is NEW, then the nearest dealer to you has to let you take the free lessons. I had a bad experience with this. I had to drive over 200 miles to take my classes because there were 17 hours on the machine I bought. Be careful about this. I never took the free classes. Just dove in and learned on my own. Good luck to you.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:46 PM

I think if I was buying a new machine for that price I would want a new one in the box. Floor models you can't be sure how often it has been used and when they want to sell something they'll tell you anything to sell it. Good luck with your new purchase. Sue
Old 03-10-2014, 04:46 PM

The closest dealer (the one with the highest price) has said repeatedly that they offer free lessons IF I buy the machine from them, otherwise they charge for the lessons. Maybe this is particular to Janome and other brands might be different? I certainly would never insist that the shop that didn't sell me the machine give me lessons. I think the lessons must be built into the price of the machine.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

When I was shopping for my sewing machine, I was told by the Bernina booth personnel at a quilt show that I could get the free lessons from any dealer - NOT! I called around before I purchased and learned that I only got the free lessons if I purchased the machine from them. I think that's standard practice. They may be required to service a machine bought elsewhere, but not to give lessons. My local Bernina dealer matched the show price, and I got the lessons, and I also purchased an extended service agreement for peace of mind.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:01 PM

For the $1600.00 in savings from the 2.5 hrs away dealer, if you had to pay for lessons from the nearest dealer, wouldn't it still be cheaper? Would paying for the lessons cost you more than $1,600.00 Just wondering?

The Janome you mentioned getting is a top of the line machine with a nice price tag. I guess you should weigh all of your options before purchase.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
I want to make something aware to you. If you buy the new machine for less. If it Is NEW, then the nearest dealer to you has to let you take the free lessons. I had a bad experience with this. I had to drive over 200 miles to take my classes because there were 17 hours on the machine I bought. Be careful about this. I never took the free classes. Just dove in and learned on my own. Good luck to you.
Why would the nearest dealer HAVE to give lessons on a machine THEY did not sell and make a profit on? Actually, no dealer HAS to give lessons, they do it to produce good customer relations. You go and take classes and you BUY other items (thread, snips, embroidery software, etc.). It is called good customer relations. They may be required to service the machine (by contract with the machine manufacturer) but not offer free service for your benefit.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

I would lay out the same argument to them...it's a floor model, I can save 1,600 at......will you match it? I would even drop a little hint that you asked your friends at your quilting forum. Make sure you check the warranty, lessons, service etc.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:48 PM

I will say that I bought a Baby Lock locally as a Christmas present for my daughter in South Carolina and shipped it to her. Her local dealer gave her the free lessons and said he was glad to have her as a new customer for supplies and service. So some dealers will work with you even if you didn't buy the machine there.