Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I expect a new in box machine? >

Should I expect a new in box machine?

Should I expect a new in box machine?

Old 03-11-2014, 04:29 AM

Default Question? I'm horrible at math, but 60% sales tax seems excessive...

Originally Posted by GrandmaSewNSew View Post
I went to a dealer and tried out a top of the line machine. Their price is not only $1,000 more than another shop (which unfortunately is 2.5 hours away) but I'd have to pay sales tax of $600 which the other shop doesn't charge as they're in another state. On top of that the dealer with the higher price would sell me the machine that I tried out. I asked them if I shouldn't be getting a new in box model and they said that that's how they sold their machines and that very few people have sewn on it. I thought that if it was on the floor (as this one was), it should be sold at a reduced price as a floor model. Any thoughts or am I wrong on this?
Even in Florida, its much less than that...

Just sayin'
Old 03-11-2014, 04:46 AM

If the machine has been previously used, no matter how short of a time frame, its considered used. They said it had been used by a few people. I bought my Viking machine and it was classified as used because it had been taken out of the box to be used at the convention by professionals learning new techniques. When I checked the machine where it shows how much its been used, it showed 1 minute. Meaning it was set up but not really used. I got over a 5000 savings, plus classes plus the same warranty that you get from a new machine plus the bag and roller cart, which are the top of the line bags, not the regular red ones. I wouldn't pay more for a machine and if they are being like this, I wouldn't trust them to give you free classes or offer you support unless you pay for it. I'd drive the 2.5 hours if this is the machine you want. Then for the classes, just plan on making a day of it when you get there. Most days it takes me 45 min to get to my dealers and then some days when I go for classes after work, with rush hour traffic, it takes me over an hour but it is worth it. Mine is also an emb machine so I take full advantage of classes offering new techniques. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by GrandmaSewNSew View Post
The closest dealer (the one with the highest price) has said repeatedly that they offer free lessons IF I buy the machine from them, otherwise they charge for the lessons. Maybe this is particular to Janome and other brands might be different? I certainly would never insist that the shop that didn't sell me the machine give me lessons. I think the lessons must be built into the price of the machine.
So drive farther to get the machine, save tons of money, they may have a floor model and you could save even more. Then you can take that saved money and help pay for the classes you want at the store closer to you. You could set up a time when you buy the machine so that you could get a class at that time. My store has a out of the box class for all of their machines, used or not and then the monthly classes and if you need more you can come in at a different time to get one on one. I think you'll still save lots of money by doing it this way, even if you buy some classes. Alot of stores charges for classes if you didn't buy it from them, even if the machine is brand new but if the teacher is good, its worth it. My teacher even has retreats for our emb machine, yes that's extra but so worth it. She'll also have special classes when alot of people want to learn something special, like the cutwork needles. I don't know if you are getting the emb machine too but if its just the sewing machine you may not need that many classes.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:03 AM

You could buy a lot of gas for $1,600!
Seriously, I would go to the other store and make a day trip each time I wanted to go to a class for my machine there. I would ask for personal help with instructions and free classes as I purchase the machine. Good dealers/shop owners would provide this service.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:09 AM

The only consolation I can see here is that by using the machine that was already set up, you know that it works BUT having said that "a floor model is a floor model" & that should garner you a discount. I would probably lean towards the lower priced machine but there are also other issues, like warranty, repairs etc. but $1600.00 is $1600.00, better in your pocket than theirs.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:12 AM

Sounds like you should plan a road trip. Don't let those guys sucker you into buying a floor model.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

Usually I found that dealer's will match the price (but not the sales tax). If you get this DSM, where will you have it serviced?? Something to think about.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

You already know how the "used" machine sews. When you open a box with a new machine, they don't always work as they should. May be only a small chance but, is still a possibility. Just a thought.
If you buy the one in the other state, be prepared to take it back there for service.
Businesses work on money. We own our business and believe me people are always trying to take advantage. We don't encourage walk ins as they are not our usual customers. We sell to companies in the industries, they know more about what they need and the vast majority are honest.
Just my opinion.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:34 AM

I just bought an Ellisimo Gold II, it was a weekend class machine, used only two days, & got almost 40% off the reg. price. I got more off because I paid cash, a deal I couldn't turn down. I'd myself drive the extra distance to save those big bucks, think of the thread & supplies you could buy with the difference. And I figure with my car getting about 29 mpg, and price of gas, that is only about $12. per 100 miles.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:57 AM

2.5 hours is just around the corner, I would travel that to save so much