2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 03-10-2014, 05:26 PM

No slip since the "paisley incident", totally shopping my stash. I feel so noble! Congrats everyone on standing strong in the face of so much temptation.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:05 PM

My main job has been kicking my you know what so I have been good, and have not even spent the gift certificate I got for doing my friends taxes.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:33 PM

I've been good; I did buy a kit (my very first) a couple months ago, but I immediately made it. It's for my sister. Top's done; just need to sandwich and quilt. I'm now resuming my Baby Jane, which is completely from my stash.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:31 PM

Well, so far so good .. no fabric has been bought. However, I bought a couple of Accuquilt Go dies. They were on sale, if that helps explain the purchase. I know this moratorium is for fabric, but I want to look at everything I purchase regarding quilting and be honest with myself. I really am taking a whole new approach to control unnecessary spending. This thread has helped me to be more accountable. Hopefully, I'll keep being honest about it too. It's really easy to not say anything.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:44 PM

I just joined Quilting Board but this sounds like a wonderful challenge! My DH and I are downsizing this summer/fall (to an RV and a storage unit) so I'm also trying to use up fabric. Still have about four tubs of fabric and two of kits, plus one of batting and one of finished tops. Do you think I can get along without buying anything for a while?

How many of you are still working on this challenge?
Old 03-12-2014, 05:31 AM

Magpie Quilts: Welcome Aboard! Like Rhonda Lee, I am trying to watch my purchases associated with quilting/sewing. My biggest downfall is gadgets(rulers, different size of cutting mats, sewing storage bins, etc.), the fleece remnant bin at JoAnn's and garage sales. I am fortunate to volunteer with a couple of different groups that use donated fabric so I really don't need to buy much but those garage sale bargains get to me.

Time to work on some sewing projects. I'm trying not to think of the batting that is on sale at JoAnn's tomorrow through Sunday because I really need to use up what I have at home first.

Connie
Old 03-12-2014, 11:39 AM

Welcome magpiequilts. You will love it here. I know I do.

I also like this challange because it does make me think about what I am spending and purchasing. So far I have been very good and have not purchased any fabric in 2014. I even have a gift certificate to my LQS that I have not spent yet.

Looking foward to running into you on other boards.

Anoka Quilter.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:55 PM

No buying since the Guild auction.
I was thinking of going into Joann's and using my 50% off fabric coupon yesterday after work but I couldn't do it. I actually felt sick and stressed just thinking of adding to my fabric collection.
I just have NO ROOM for more and am working very hard to only make quilts that I have all the fabrics I need. I really want to use up enough fabric so that I can have a little breathing space and so that my space can be neat and organized.
cindy
Old 03-12-2014, 06:29 PM

Welcome Magpie quilts...I am still trying to stick to my guns. Each time I look in my sewing room, I think I have enough fabric to last me the rest of my life so am making a diligent effort to not buy anything else. I think at some point, I will need some neutrals and some black design fabric but haven't gotten to those projects yet. The latest CT catalog has a couple kits I would like to buy plus some sewing notions..but I am staying strong so far and have resisted..asking myself if I really need them. Glad you joined us. Remember if you ever want to sell any of your fabric, you can do it here after you have been a member a while. Has to be reasonable priced.. :-)
Old 03-12-2014, 09:26 PM

I have to place an order with Bear Creek Quilting Fabrics for our church group. I am tempted to add some Moda batiks for $7.75 a yard. Remind me to control myself. I need enough of the butterfly fabric for church that the shipping would be free for mine. Oh, oh.