Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
charity: what organizations do you donate to? >

charity: what organizations do you donate to?

charity: what organizations do you donate to?

Old 03-12-2014, 12:31 PM

I make lap robes for a local Hospital's Pediatric dept and quilts for Birthright
Also preemie caps
Old 03-12-2014, 12:45 PM

I worked with our church Sunday School and between the kids, a few other volunteers and I, we brought 35 colorful pillowcases to children's unit of Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. They like each child to have their own pillowcase to take home. Nurses enjoy picking out designs that fit each child. I made another 8 myself later on, and would do more if I had the fabric. Quiet Valley Quilt Guild has started donating to Project Linus and I've made a few, also quilting some made by other members for that. One of our members makes huge numbers for PL. I also have also given some through family members, one who works at a children's hospital, and daughter who teaches special needs kids. If only the batting weren't so pricy, I'd do lots more. I agree that giving locally is best if you can. Glad to hear some of the ideas in this blog!
Old 03-12-2014, 03:17 PM

We just completed 135 comfort quilts for our county patrol cars to give to children in distress calls. You can see samples of our quilts (in ziplock bags) in my album. Our next community service we are considering to make quilts for is either for the chemo therapy CANCER PATIENTS, they get pretty cold during their treatments; or to abused families in shelters/safe houses.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:35 PM

I donate to several different charities. Sometimes I just make a quit and eventually the right place for it pops up. My guild just made 17 Quilts of Valor. Last Saturday we made 32 quilts for Ronald McDonald house. I just gave one to the local pregnancy center. I am sending one to my SIl for a fundraiser at her private school. I have a small pile made up. Just for when things come up that is the right home for them.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:58 PM

I've donated a queen size patriotic sampler quilt to be raffled by my Extension Community Association (used to be called Home Extension). We are a non-profit charity club. We have three clubs in our county. We all recently met at the local Ag Center and made breast cancer pillows. I donated all of the flannel for the pillow cases and all the muslin for the pillows. We made 6 dozen pillows in a little under 4 hours. As soon as we finished them, I took them to our local hospital and donated all of them to the Levine Cancer Center to be used by chemo patients. They are always most appreciative to receive them. We'll be holding a Chemo Cap workshop before long. There are so many little things you can do that means so much to someone in need.
My quilt guild has also made baby quilts and donated them to our local Crisis Pregnancy Center. We like that the girls have to take parenting classes and earn merits to earn these quilts. There is some stiff competition going on for them. We've made several raffle quilts to benefit our church building fund.

Last edited by Libster; 03-12-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:04 PM

I make quilts for our guild. Those are collected and given to The Cancer Center, Salvation Army, Wesley House--an outreach in our community, Mother -Mother. One year we gave a large amount of quilts to Ronald McDonald House. There are others, but can't think what they are.
I have made quilts for new babies in the family, our children, my sisters.
I love making for others.
Mariah
Old 03-12-2014, 05:26 PM

I have been making quilts for "Gator Wilderness Camp". It is a camp in FL for troubled boys, ages 10 - 15. Check out their web page. They do a wonderful work there with the boys and work with the families also. The boys sleep outdoors so they need lots of quilts. This winter I made sleeping bags for them for when they take the boys on trips to wherever. I am working on quilts now. If you have fabric that you don't know what to do with, message me and I will give you my address. I have nothing to give you in return, but you will receive your blessing in heaven for helping.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:12 PM

I donate to my church through the Prayers and Squares Quilt Ministry, Chapter 347.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:15 PM

I donate to www.minpinrescue.org. Making some right now for our fundraiser in a couple months.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:35 AM

Our group makes lap quilts for the local Commission on Aging, baby quilts for the local hospital , and donate quilts to families through the fire department that have fires and lost their homes. Plus we donate full quilts to fund raisers