Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your take on 'modern' quilts? >

What is your take on 'modern' quilts?

What is your take on 'modern' quilts?

Old 01-14-2014, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
Someone linked to this blog.

http://jacquietps.wordpress.com/

If all modern art quilters were this good--none of us could ever criticize them. This person is fantastic!
Wow, some fabulous quilts at that blog site, I loved every one of them! Thanks for the referral.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:41 PM

I like modern quilts, I like them all too. I see a lot of talent here. I just finished my 1st quilt for my bed and if I like the quilt on my bed.I'm in big trouble!
Old 01-15-2014, 06:23 AM

Have to laugh. The first quilt I saw, thought something was wrong with my computer.
I like all kinds of quilt types and dislike some of all quilt types. Depends on the quilt.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:04 AM

I'm late to the game, but weighing in. For me, "modern" quilts are fine. I've seen some I like, some I dislike, just like all quilting. And I also saw "modern" quilts long before the term "modern" came about. Most modern quilts, to me, are basically art quilts, some are well done, some aren't so much.

I also love modern quilters. Anyone who enjoys cotton is my friend. ;-).

What I'm not fond of is the labeling in general and specifically of the "modern movement". I'm hard pressed to think of any quilting style that has been so well labeled and so ORGANIZED. And honestly, I think the excellent organization is driven by industry. The "Modern Quilt Guild" is sponsored by Bernina, Riley Blake (which is owned by Coats, BTW), and some other big names. Without that backing, I don't think there would be a "movement". It's essentially a viral marketing campaign.

I also think the name "modern" is unfortunate. It's a bit polarizing because it implies that quilts that aren't "modern" are old fashioned. No wonder the "traditionalists" sometimes get offended. Leaders of the "modern movement" claim that their organization arose out of not being brought into the fold of traditional quilters. If so, then why devise such a polarizing and exclusive name?

Most of my quilts are made with ridiculously bright colors, and sometimes quite a bit of white space. I always say, I pretty much focus on the crayola 12 pack (yes, just the 12 pack, not even the 24 pack, let alone the extended packs! LOL). That said, while I own many hundreds of yards of fabric, I probably own about 10 yards of grey. Grey has never been a color of quilty energy for me. And I have too much fabric to buy more than a few pieces of the new fabrics, besides, I'm not all that much into the prints. They seem very 70's-ish to me, an era whose style I didn't love. In the truest sense, modern quilting is something I most likely will never do. So I'm a modern/traditional/contemporist? So there it is.

That'll be 2 cents, please ;-)
Old 03-13-2014, 04:24 PM

I like both. Modern works for me when I have fabrics that it would kill me to cut into smaller pieces, or if there's a certain fabric that I really love and want to show it off. I let whatever fabric I'm using decide what it wants to be. There are patterns on both sides that I do and don't like.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:27 PM

I made a modern quilt for the first time last year. It was for my daughter who was getting married, and who doesn't really like quilts. Probably because she thinks of "traditional" because that's my typical style. Fortunately the pattern didn't have a lot of improvisation because I'm better at following someone else's pattern! The quilt included a lot of grey and black but also lots of white and a little red for pop. I ended up loving it and (I think) she does too. She has promised me that if she has kids I may make them traditional quilts! Although I'm really a contemporary, I guess. Love the new fabrics and the old patterns.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:50 PM

A few days ago I saw a "modern quilt" that I really liked.But I have to confess, I find most "modern"quilts boring.I love challenging quilt patterns myself, I love to push myself, but that is just me. So many of the modern quilts have very simple construction, squares and rectangles mostly set off kilter and lots of negative space. I just find so many of them to be so darn boring.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:02 PM

I like both modern and traditional. I like to do a little of each. Wow, I did not mean I like that kind of modern.

Last edited by sewingsuz; 03-13-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Girlfriend View Post
I don't necessarily think "modern" equates to "no matching seams". I had to match every single one of these in the one I made this year. The fabrics in this make it more of a "modern" quilt because of the "low volume" fabrics I chose.

This is my first "modern" quilt, and I do like it. Although, I think it's a matter of taste, personally.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]451629[/ATTACH]
I would call the pic more a scrappy than a modern but JMHO

To me modern is more solid colors and very little seam matching........most seem to be mostly geometric figures placed onto a background. Unless, they are the ones that are sewn by just putting mixed prints into traditional type blocks almost not being able to distinguish the various prints......but just another version of the subject.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:05 AM

Modern quilts are growing on me.