Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Newbie Question about quilting tools... >

Newbie Question about quilting tools...

Newbie Question about quilting tools...

Old 03-13-2014, 06:19 PM

Jan, you have that savings account part right for sure!
Old 03-13-2014, 06:24 PM

I started with very basic tools. A ruler (like a normal ruler) and a pair of fabric scissors. But I quickly upgraded to a 11" x 18" mat and 3" x 18" ruler and a rotary cutter. I bought it all as a pack. I just recently got an 8" x 24" ruler. I still wish I had a bigger mat (mine does the trick but it can be tricky since it is so small) and more rulers, but for the time being they work.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:27 PM

I would recommend the largest cutting mat you can afford, a June Tailor Shape Cut ruler, a couple of 4" and 6" rulers, maybe a couple of large square rulers, but my "go to" ruler is the shape cut, as far as I'm concerned it's the next best thing since sliced bread, and as others have mentioned a good rotary cutter and a supply of blades. I haven't used a seam ripper since I found these little snips(6204) at: http://www.mygoodscissors.com/Scissors.htm
Old 03-13-2014, 06:29 PM

Don't forget a sewing machine...
Old 03-13-2014, 06:40 PM

The mat, rotary cutter and a good 6x24 ruler will get you going. A smaller ruler will come in handy as well. Try to get the same brand when you buy different size rulers. If you can find a ruler you like with 1/8" lines, it will stand the test of time. I recommend laying the ruler you think you want on several different color fabrics. You might decide those bright green or yellow lines are difficult to see on different colored fabrics. And definitely some straight pins. You don't need a gazillion but a box of the yellow-head clover ones are not too expensive and they work for most applications. A decent pair of 6" or 8" scissors and a small pair of thread snips. And, yes, the requisite seam ripper.

Someone mentioned a sewing machine. Definitely a worthwhile investment but you can actually make a quilt from start to finish without a machine if that is your preference or bank account at the moment. A high quality used machine is generally a better deal than a new cheap machine. But get what you can afford.

Start with a small project - table runner/topper; baby or lap quilt so you don't get overwhelmed. Just make sure it's a pattern you like so you'll be more inclined to finish it vs tossing it aside if you get frustrated.

For books - check your local library. Browse few as many quilting books, even basic ones, they have available and see what seems to have the most resources/information if you can before making a purchase. Might save you some $$ in the long run.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:01 PM

I found that the one thing I wish I had when I started was a June Tailor Shape Cut ruler. It is the best ruler I have ever used and believe me, over the years I have bought many rulers that I have yet to use. The Shape Cut is used every time I make a quilt. It makes cutting strips so fast,easy and most important, accurate! Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting!
Old 03-13-2014, 07:49 PM

I bought a rotary cutter and extra blades, a large cutting mat (can't remember the size, I got the big Fiskars one), a 6x18 ruler, and small thread snip scissors. When I signed up for my first class I got the smaller 18inch mat and a shorter ruler, think it was a 12x2 just to make traveling easier.

Right after my class I bought the short six inch ruler, a pair of dedicated fabric scissors, a better seam ripper, fine grit self adhesive sand paper (to put on my rulers so they didn't slip), and five million more bobbins. Oh and a sewing box to put it all in.

I'm currently stealing my daughters seam ripper, hers is much better than mine somehow, but I recommend an ergonomic one. I think I bought hers at Walmart, it was a fun color which I figured she'd like, didn't realize it was so much better than the one I had.

Oh, and E.L.F (makeup brand) white handled eyeliner brushes are fantastic to help get all the lint and such out of your machine when you clean it. I've never had much use for the "tools" that came with my machine.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:07 PM
Power Poster

Check your library too. You can find a lot of good information in quilting books at the library!
Old 03-13-2014, 11:39 PM

I would suggest a supply of rotary cutting blades. Having watched beginners trying to saw the fabric it makes a mess of the blade which should slide through fabric like a knife through butter.
If there are 2 of you beginning share the square ruler to begin with. At the beginning I would also say keep away from novelty rulers, until you have mastered using the basic set.
The mat although the largest is best please remember you will be taking it to classes so a size you can carry without it bending etc
If you go to a quilt group sometimes when ladies leave they offer their items for sale.
I met a young quilter one day who was trying to get rid of all her stock machines, fabric etc. she had 2 young children and terminal cancer. She was trying to declutter for her husband before she passed on. Iwas very upset about this forages after but other families may have the problem to deal with.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

A big and small cutting mat, 45mm rotary cutter and extra blades, as many different size rulers as you can afford all the same brand, lots of sharp seam rippers, several pair of different size scissors the best you can afford, Clover small Wonder Clips, Clover Patchwork pins, and a problem free sewing machine.