Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2014 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2014 UFO Challenge of the Month

2014 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 03-14-2014, 05:26 AM

Rhonda: Hanging my head here. I have been guilty of far more starts then finishes, not that I'm not having fun, just not finishing. My excuse is that I want to sandwich using spray adhesive so I'm waiting for a clear, dry day. How's that for rationalization?
Old 03-14-2014, 07:07 AM

This thread must be like heaven! I am alone in my quilting world. My family and friends do not quilt, do not understand why I quilt, but graciously receive my quilted gifts with wonder and awe and do not have a clue as to the 'why' I do what I do. They except my gifts wonderfully and wonder what I'll do next year. If I vent on anything they look at me with a blank expression and say," well, just don't do it, quit, it's not worth it, I wouldn't do what you do" and on and on they go. So, when I get the feedback which I receive here, it feels so full of love for the art of quilting I just melt with gratitude. I don't want to quit and I know for me this hobby is worth the effort which is required and I do what I do for the love of it. So thank you Qlter Sue for your encouragement and it's comforting to know you've found yourself in somewhat the same place with the Orca challenge and you still offer your wonderful wisdom. Nana up North, thank you for cheering me on. Orca Bay was a mystery quilt about 3 years ago on Bonnie Hunters website Quiltville. It's a scrappy quilt with a good many pieces to assemble. Her mystery's start in November. I have many projects in the making at that time of year so I set myself up for a tremendous amount of work trying to tackle the mystery quilt. And Emma, you have your Orca top completed! Hold your head up high, that is one heck of an accomplishment!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:59 AM

I love this board and especially this thread!

Nanna-Up-North: I hope you were able to get the cookbook from Magpie. I am keeping that one because of the memories of using it with my late husband and our boys. Someday, I will pass it on to one of my sons.

My quilting area is looking better. I couldn't believe how many pieces of fabric were laying around in piles, tubs, bags, floor...you get my drift.

Off to sew more tote bags. I hope to get 2 more done before Sunday evening. I should have finished my goal of organizing the material by then also. I will still have 'scrap' bags/totes to work on but those scraps can be tamed another time.

Connie
Old 03-15-2014, 12:58 PM

So many wonderful finishes, I really enjoy seeing them all. Not that I have any of my own to show, sigh. Too many little projects keep getting in the way.

Jean are you looking for the Betty Crocker Cooky Book that usually is a red spiral bound book? I can't part with my red one, but I do have a paperback version that I don't need. It looks like this
[ATTACH=CONFIG]467305[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P3260051.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	467305  
Old 03-16-2014, 05:30 AM

I completed another scrappy quilt this week. I still have so many to get done but this forum is helping me stick to a plan of completing at least one a month. [ATTACH=CONFIG]467448[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	467448  
Old 03-16-2014, 12:08 PM

jward- great quilt! Nice variety of fabric makes for an interesting pattern. I like the quilting design, too. Nice finish!
Old 03-18-2014, 04:19 AM

Whew.... busy family weekend and a Monday to recover. But, I'm back now.

Retiredteacher09- I know you are ready to get in your cleaned up quilting area and sew, sew, sew. That the way I always feel when my area is clean...... it doesn't stay that way for long though. And, more tote bags. You're getting those finished pretty quickly. Good for you.

To reply to Lauriejo and RT09- the books that Magpie had weren't the one I'm looking for. Yes, it's the red one with the spiral spline. And, that's the one I have to have because it's exactly the one my mom gave me over 50 years ago. So, thanks for the offer, Lauriejo but I have to keep looking for a copy of the red one. I'll find it.

Jwardknits- Love your scrappy.... the colors, the design.... everything. I just drool over the scrappys I see on the QB. I want to make one so badly..... just have to get all the promised quilts finished and out of my way. I hate it that I can't just go do the quilts in my mind that I love until I get the UFOs down to a manageable number. It's the MOM training that I got...... have to finish this thing before going on to that thing. And I'm down to that manageable number now..... just have those promised quilts to do first.

Everyone is doing so well..... getting so many UFOs from the 'to finish' pile to the 'FINISHED' pile. Pat yourselves on the back.... GOOD JOB!!!
Old 03-18-2014, 03:30 PM

I'm still sewing on wings! The little black flying geese are now becoming wings to red string triangles, turning them into bigger flying geese. My goal is to finish these today. Onward and upward. It's strange that all of the preliminary work was done about 3 years ago. I can truthfully say I am glad I decided to finish this one. It's just taking longer than I thought it would. I am not complaining, just realizing the amount of work that goes into one of Bonnie Hunters quilts.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:01 PM

Go, Rhonda, Go! Little by little, you'll get there! I was so touched by your former post (#392).
Old 03-20-2014, 02:16 AM

Fraew: Darling quilt! Love the quilting and the ruffle finish!!!