Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
House fire and fabric...help! >

House fire and fabric...help!

House fire and fabric...help!

Old 03-15-2014, 04:18 PM

I get my Odo-Ban at Walmart, I have 4 dogs so I buy 2 bottles at a time.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:28 PM

I feel for your friend loss My suggestion is My son in law work on the oil rigs and comes home with all sorts of cleaning problems My daughter uses a can of Coke not sure if it is diet or the regular but it usually takes care of it ,
Old 03-15-2014, 08:54 PM

Several years ago we had a very bad house fire. A professional disaster recovery team came in afterwards to clean out all the air ducts, walls, floors, etc. They used Odo-Ban and recommended that we wash any textiles that were salvageable with it. It does work well but may take a few cycles with it to be most effective. It is available in Wal-Mart and Sam's Club. Good luck. I'm sure your kind efforts will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by hybearn8er View Post
Have you tryed 20 mule team borax? I've had good success with it on smells.
This would have been my suggestion too. I have even used it with bleach in the white clothes. Whenever possible, use smaller loads of clothes/fabrics with lots of water. I have used this as a prewash of fabrics before I store them -- helps keep the bugs out. When I do that, I don't use other products, just the borax instead of detergent. I hope you can salvage something for her.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:26 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
Just read on the University of Missouri Extension Service website that the only way to get rid of the smokey odor from textiles is through a process called "ozone treatment" (an ozone generator is used). There are supposedly no chemicals or cleaners that will take the smokey odor out of the fabric. It has be to neutralized and only ozone can do it. They also say that any perfumes, Fabreze type sprays, laundry soaps, etc., will not do anything to remove the odor that only the ozone treatment can do that. I'd bet this is an expensive treatment. What your DF needs to do is tally up the amount she spent on her stash and add it to her claim for reimbursement on the insurance. I'm not sure there is anything you can really do to salvage the stash short of professionally ozoning it.

Hope this info helps...

Anita
What about Ozium or something like that from the auto parts store ? My daughter is a smoker , her dh is a very heavy smoker also .. She uses that before we come over as the smoke and the house smells great .. I think that is the name of it .. May have to ask at the auto parts store .. (whatever the name is to get out the smoke smell).
Old 03-16-2014, 07:41 AM

Try GAIN detergent I had good luck with that taking out the smoke smell.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:05 AM

Go to Carpet Cleaner such as Chem Dry---they have special chemicals for fire damage and smoke or any rescue company---good luck
Old 03-17-2014, 05:38 PM
GG

Helped with a friends house fire and I used Pin sol to get the odor out .Hope this might help
Old 03-18-2014, 07:10 AM

I was going to suggest something similar. My daughter started our house on fire with an inscent In her closet (ugh ) she put it there because I am allergic and in her 16 year old mind in her closet -it wouldnt bother me there . well it caught all the clothes on fire. then it spread because she had hoarded a bunch of dried flowers and floral arrangements. I washed her stuff (what was left lol ) in odo ban and rinsed with ammonia and hung out to dry on the line .it worked I think it took twice though.
tell your friend Im so sorry , I know Its devastating I was lucky ,my fire was only one room and my neighbor put it out before the fire trucks got there and our only damage was "stuff" not the house and the people and pets got out ok.
but my daughter was very emotional for a while .
Old 03-21-2014, 08:02 AM

When we had a house fire many years ago, we were told to soak all clothes in very cold water for 24 hrs and then wash. It worked really good for smoke damage and smell.