Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Machine Embroidery
  • Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >
  • Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

• Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 03-06-2014, 06:42 AM

I would like to use redwork designs to quilt the finished quilt. Will an embroidery machine put a design on a layered finished quilt?
    Old 03-06-2014, 08:26 AM

I have done several quilts that way. I go through all 3 layers and use simple quilt motifs. Make sure you puddle your quilt, so there won't be any drag when the machine moves. Also, open your hoop quite a bit. Yes, there is a lot of rehooping, but the result is good.

UOTE=GrandmaSewNSew;6611010]Thank you for that information! It looks like a fun way to quilt. What about quilting an already completed top? Can that be done? I have a few completed and would like to use embroidery designs and keep rehooping but am not sure if that would work.[/QUOTE]
    Old 03-06-2014, 12:57 PM

Freddie...Thank you! What machine do you have? And here's a real newbie question: Do you use the same bobbin thread when you use different top thread colors? I'm guessing it might be better to just use one color on the entire quilt.
    Old 03-07-2014, 03:33 AM

My experience in using my embroidery machine to quilt the layers is to use the same color thread as the bobbin thread. In fact, I wind a bobbin using the embroidery thread. That way, I don't "see"the bobbin thread on top if it is a different color. You also should "quilt" using a simple "redwork" or quilting design for the project.

Do a test quilt block with the layers to make sure that your machine embroidery quilting design makes a pretty stitch on the back of the quilt. I really did not like what my quilt back looked like after quilting with my machine. But, this was a few years ago and perhaps the "quilting" embroidery designs have improved. I also got bored maneuvering the bulk of the quilt for quilting with my embroidery machine, the re hooping, etc. (I still have half of the quilt to finish, LOL!).

I do want to revisit using my machine for quilting using embroidery designs.

sandy
    Old 03-07-2014, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by chamby
    the links do not work.
    Try turning off your pop up blocker. I clicked on them and they work fine. It brings up a new window so if your popup blocker is on it'll prevent the new window from coming up a lot of the time.
    Old 03-07-2014, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by GrandmaSewNSew
    Freddie...Thank you! What machine do you have? And here's a real newbie question: Do you use the same bobbin thread when you use different top thread colors? I'm guessing it might be better to just use one color on the entire quilt.
    I have the Brother PE770 embroidery machine only. It has a 5x7 field, which seems to be plenty large for what I do. Yes, I put embroidery thread in your bobbin. I match the bobbin thread with the color of my backing or if you want it to show more, you can use anything you like. Test it, because sometimes the top thread might pull a little towards the back. Then you might want to use same color on top and bottom. Of course, no stabilizer is needed when you go through all 3 layers.
    Old 03-07-2014, 01:51 PM

I purchased the Brother PE500 embroidery machine a few months ago, but haven't had a chance to learn how to use it. Does anyone have this machine and what do you think of it? I'm going to try to find the time to get it out and use it. I'm really glad I found this post and will be checking in from time to time.
    Old 03-09-2014, 08:14 PM

I just popped into the group to see if anyone was talking.... I was about 10 pages behind!! A lot of good stuff on those pages. Thanks for posting everyone. I am a newbee and am very happy to listen to those who have been here for a while.

I joined Artistic Thread Works, and for about $10 per month I have access to all of their embroidery designs for free. I think that is very good and have downloaded several designs and they stitch out beautifully.

hugs, Jupiter
    Old 03-12-2014, 04:45 PM

I have a Viking designer SE Purchased new when they came out many years ago. Has less than 5 hours on it! I'm afraid of it and never learned to use it. Have never loaded the things I purchased on it. Have the 3D professional, endless embroidery hoop, quilters kit III, mega hoop, never opened any of the boxes. I think they are up to like the 5th version now???? Would this be for someone like me that has an EM but doesn't know anything?
    Old 03-17-2014, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by VivianW
    I have a Viking designer SE Purchased new when they came out many years ago. Has less than 5 hours on it! I'm afraid of it and never learned to use it. Have never loaded the things I purchased on it. Have the 3D professional, endless embroidery hoop, quilters kit III, mega hoop, never opened any of the boxes. I think they are up to like the 5th version now???? Would this be for someone like me that has an EM but doesn't know anything?
    I have 5D Pro & 6D has cone out. I am not going to upgrade as I was told by a dealer that not much had changed, and i still have a long learning process ahead on 5D.
    I would suggest you start playing with your machine first before getting new software to see if it is something you want to do. You can find classes just about anywhere that will help you get past your fears
    When I got my machine I only sewed with it since I had no interest in embroidery, but now it runs almost nonstop.
    Good luck.