Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern sharing >

Pattern sharing

Pattern sharing

Old 03-18-2014, 04:27 AM

I had a girlfriend whom did the same thing. My reply was always, of course you can, please. Write out a check to (whoever) for the amount I paid. I told her when he handed me the check she could make her copy. After I got one check ( which I mailed to Quilt Shop) she made her copy. Funny thing, she never asked again. Wonder why?
Old 03-18-2014, 05:30 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
I am so thankful for my friends a wonderful group of fun sharing people and we are really enjoying our Wed. all working on the same quilt we even share and exchange our fabric if one needs something for her quilt I am so thankful to live here may be isolated but people can enjoy doing things together in a very relaxed mode
Im with you Dodie... the monthly meetings i attend is an 'our' thing not a 'me' thing. and we share and share alike.. if one member is looking for 'blue' guarantee the next meeting she is gifted a bag or two of blue fabrics !!!
Old 03-18-2014, 05:44 AM

this is a big topic in the knitting world as well.

as others have said: if she has the money for a retreat, she has the money for supplies. also, that's awful rude to ask someone who is not a friend/family (imho).

putting copyright laws aside for a moment: i would say "no" mostly because she sounds a bit rude and a little too bold for my cup of tea.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:52 AM

Tell her to borrow from the libray
Old 03-18-2014, 06:54 AM

I believe in respecting the rights of the author who created the pattern. I will lend a book to a close friend who I know will return it. My close friend who just started quilting asks for books to give her ideas of what she would like to make, then she buys the pattern she wants. I was the president of a local crafts club a few years ago. One of our members passed away, another member called her daughter and asked for all the books that her mother had gotten over the years. That was the final straw as this woman is a brash, arrogant, self serving person and to call and ask for something that she had no right to was, to me, an unthinkable act. I resigned as president and as a member of the club. I wanted no more part of a group that would tolerate such a person. Okay so it was a simple act, but this woman has more money than most of the members and can easily buy whatever she wants. So, after more information than you asked for; I don't believe in giving copies of patterns to people. If someone likes a particular pattern and it is still in print then they can buy it themselves. Most of my friends respect the rights of the artist who created the pattern or wrote the book and that is as it should be.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:25 AM

I loan books to my small quilt group but that's it. Sometimes we will share a free pattern for a group project that we are making as a gift and we all are working on it at the same time.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by linkd View Post
Copyright is a difficult and vague area. You can't sell someone else's work and claim it as your own. If you are teaching a class using someone else's copyrighted pattern each person must have his own copy of the pattern or book.
On the other hand, if you are teaching a beginning quilting class, say a regular nine patch with offsetting solid blocks... Probably can't find a copyright on that (and if you did, the claimant is probably lying, and should be dead because that block has been around longer than any of us).

It seems to me that if libraries are allowed to lend books (and unless it is digital they don't pay extra for the privilege as far as I know ---any librarians out there?) So can I. But neither I or the person to whom I lend a book can claim we are the source and owner of the pattern or that it is our original work (the quilt however is our work). If I lent my friend my copy of Moby Dick, and she decided to copy it (by hand with a quill) she still could not claim it as her own original work. I think a quilt book is not all that different. When you buy a book of any sort you can lend it or sell it or add it to the large pile in the corner. It is yours to do with as you please. On the other hand, copying those stacks of sheets for a paper piecing pattern is no fair and probably does constitute copyright violations.
i feel the same way when i buy a book or pattern its mine one of my friends and i shop together for fabric once in awhile we buy a pattern together and one of us takes a copy of it we dont sell the pattern or copy of it nor do we loan them out or sell the item made from it. there are made for family or friends.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:13 AM

I will share and/or loan things only to family and close friends.

This woman is pretty bold to ask to borrow from someone she hardly knows. Don't feel bad saying " NO " when she asks because I'm sure she hears it a lot.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

Aside from copyright issues, I would be annoyed that this person had the nerve to ask in the first place.

It would also seem to me that if one had enoigh money to go on a retreat, it would seem reasonable that the person could afford the required supplies.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:48 AM

I do not lend any patterns or books except to very close friends. I tried in the past and then forgot who had it and lost it forever. Then i am out money. The person that would write in a book they do not own is very rude. And needs a lesson in manners.