Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 03-18-2014, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by VivianW View Post
I have a Viking designer SE Purchased new when they came out many years ago. Has less than 5 hours on it! I'm afraid of it and never learned to use it. Have never loaded the things I purchased on it. Have the 3D professional, endless embroidery hoop, quilters kit III, mega hoop, never opened any of the boxes. I think they are up to like the 5th version now???? Would this be for someone like me that has an EM but doesn't know anything?
What you need is some classes or someone willing to help you along at home. The software won't get you going, the more you do the more you'll want to do and that's how you do it. Start off with practice pieces and don't worry if they don't turn out just start doing them. I also have 5D Pro and don't plan on upgrading mainly because I haven't learned how to do alot in 5 so why upgrade yet. It doesn't have to be at a viking shop, there are some places that will accept any machine. My viking shop does, so does our Sew n Vac store, just look around and see if you can find someone to help you get over your fear and then you'll be off and won't be able to learn as fast as you want. Good luck
Old 03-18-2014, 02:12 PM

I have a super important question, at least it is to me. I am looking to buy a new embroidery machine. Or at least new to me. I already have a Bernina 650 Deco and a Viking +1. Both work fine, but only have a small field and I have to go through the hassle of downloading designs to floppy then to the little memory thing with a magic box, then to the machine. It is such a pain. So I want something newer and modern.

I have been looking at the Janome MC 11000 SE and think that is what I want. But then I read bad reviews about them. So now what? I would love to spend the thousands it would cost to get a new Bernina top of the line, but I just can not do it. Maybe if I win the lotto or even a jackpot on a slot machine, but not right now. And I do not want payments. So something new or used between 2 and 3000, is my budget.

I need opinions and ideas. It seems the more I look the more confused I get. The reason I like the Janome is the Acufil system and the ability to quilt in the hoop. I think that would be great. So let me have it. What do you all think?
Old 03-19-2014, 05:48 AM

I don't know about the acufil system but just about all emb machines should be able to quilt in the hoop, depending on how large the hoop is. I have the Viking Diamond Deluxe and previously had the Ruby and also the Viking +1, I love my machine and it has one of the largest hoops around. I have nothing bad to say about Jamone and I know there are lots who love their machines as with all brands. I'd suggest to search around to see what's in your area but also know you need good support from your store, that is key. Most stores that sell gently used machines offer some kind of warranty along with classes. Good luck on your search. You can find really great prices on the newer slightly used models though
Old 03-20-2014, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by littlesurfer View Post
I purchased the Brother PE500 embroidery machine a few months ago, but haven't had a chance to learn how to use it. Does anyone have this machine and what do you think of it? I'm going to try to find the time to get it out and use it. I'm really glad I found this post and will be checking in from time to time.
I have this one. I am still learning. I love mine. Only drawback I see is that it only uses a 4x4 hoop. But that still works for what I need.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:34 PM

Katia check out the brother machines. They seem to have what you are looking for at your price range.

Last edited by chamby; 03-20-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
hmmm I wonder why they don't work for you.

I got them to work 2 times first from my original post, than they
worked from your quote.

If you go to Embroidery Library and click on the "Projects" tab at
the top it will take you to that section, on the projects page click
on the tab that says "Fabrics 101".
Thanks, they work if I right click to open them. This is my favorite site as well.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:02 AM

I just read this on the Bernina site and had not heard this before. Just wondering if this applies to all emb machines. I am thinking it makes sense but am not absolutely sure.

Push the inner ring down ever so slightly so that
is sits just a hair lower than the outer ring. This
tightens the fabric just slightly and prevents the
plastic on the outer hoop from rubbing against the
machine bed.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:49 AM

I decided to do what I have read here several times and have also been told by others as well, and that was to go and actually look at the machines in person. I did that yesterday and didn't have to look long before I found something I hope I will love. So much of what I wanted was way too expensive. And I kept thinking how I could get them cheaper on Ebay. But then I started talking to people at the store about the warranty, and all of the sudden that seemed really important to me. I realized that most of the stuff on Ebay did not come with any sort of warranty and with a computer sort of sewing machine that might be really important down the road.

So I ended up buying a brand new Janome 9900. It is so pretty. It is also intimidating. I watched the dvd and turned it on last night, but that is as far as I got. I got a good warranty I think, from the guy there. Three years on everything as well as a one year chance to upgrade if I want with all I paid for this machine going towards a new one. Plus the usual Janome warranty. The upgrade is a big jump to that top of the line 15000, but he even offered me that one at a generous discount.

The lady that did his classes just had to quit because of health problems so no classes, but he did offer me the job. I am thinking about it, but it would mean a long commute so it would depend on if it was just for scheduled classes or what. I don't want to be a salesperson, but it might be fun to teach people. He said it would include factory training too. Something to think about.

So wish me luck. It is fun to learn new things. I hope so anyway.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:27 AM

Katia, congrats on your new machine! I hope you have many years of happiness with it. I do like the Janome embroidery machines; they do some beautiful work. I think you will love it.

I just bought a Brother DreamCreator VM5100 last Friday and I am LOVING it. I have done a couple of embroidery designs on it but they are not well digitized. However, I have 11 more of them to do, as they are for a quilt I'm making my SIL. Tonight, I'm going to try one of the designs that came on the machine just to assure myself that the problem I'm having is with the digitizing and not the machine.

I obviously haven't read all 260 pages of this thread, so don't kill me if it's already here, but is there a chart of stabilizers that I can use? I had an embroidery machine up until this time two years ago and sold it - it's amazing how much one can forget in that time frame. I seriously need a refresher course on some of this stuff.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Skratchie View Post
Katia, congrats on your new machine! I hope you have many years of happiness with it. I do like the Janome embroidery machines; they do some beautiful work. I think you will love it.

I just bought a Brother DreamCreator VM5100 last Friday and I am LOVING it. I have done a couple of embroidery designs on it but they are not well digitized. However, I have 11 more of them to do, as they are for a quilt I'm making my SIL. Tonight, I'm going to try one of the designs that came on the machine just to assure myself that the problem I'm having is with the digitizing and not the machine.

I just

I obviously haven't read all 260 pages of this thread, so don't kill me if it's already here, but is there a chart of stabilizers that I can use? I had an embroidery machine up until this time two years ago and sold it - it's amazing how much one can forget in that time frame. I seriously need a refresher course on some of this stuff.
I just went online & googled embroidery stabilizers and found a list there, printed it out & stuck it in my book of reference for everything embroidery.