Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What blocks do you think quilters should learn? >

What blocks do you think quilters should learn?

What blocks do you think quilters should learn?

Old 03-25-2014, 05:53 AM

Log cabin is pretty easy as it is the one I would say to start with as it is hard to mess up.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:14 AM

Dresden plates are so much fun and so rewarding because you can use scraps or you can coordinate them. Either way they are spectacular. Check Jenny Doan's tutorial on MSQC. And welcome to the board and to the world of quilting. froggyintexas
Old 03-25-2014, 08:24 AM

I have been quilting for a while now but have learned a lot from Eleanor Burns site. She teaches a lot of technics that have made my quilts look like master pieces. Here is her site:

http://vimeo.com/quiltinaday/videos

Hope get as much enjoyment out of as I have and still do.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:06 AM

I like making sampler quilts. Not only do you have variety so you don't get bored doing the same thing over and over again but each block presents a new challenge and skill learned. Eleanor Burns has some sampler quilt books which are easy to follow. With each quilt I make I try to do something different - a new block or new technique to a block I've made before. This way I am broadening my skill base while at the same time ending up with a nice quilt, table topper or something else that is useful.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:24 AM

I don't have too much to add as all my thoughts have been suggested already. My original thought was a sampler which you can find in a book or make up yourself with blocks for quilterscache. I would suggest some smaller projects like pillow, table runner or lap quilt in case it ends up something you don't enjoy doing so much.

another book is the Harriet Haregrave Quilting Academy books. Has some nice smaller projects that focus on particular skills required for making quilts.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:39 AM

I haven't read all the replies so I might be duplicating, but take a look at Missouri Star Quilt Co tutorials on youtube ... I love seeing easy ways to create blocks / quilts and having step by step visual instructions to follow.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:05 PM

You have received some excellent suggestions with all the responses. What a wonderful quilting board we have.

I would also add tutorials by Jenny Doan at Missouri Star Quilt Company. She uses only precuts ( 2 1/2" strips or squares, 5" squares, 10 x 8 " pieces, etc.). You can make your own 'precuts' to use her patterns. To buy the precuts really cuts down on cutting time but this is a skill you also need to know.

She has taken a lot of the traditional quilt blocks and has simplified the process. She also has a new magazine named BLOCK.

I am a Jenny Doan fan!
Old 03-25-2014, 03:15 PM

I agree with the other posters...start with simpler blocks til you get more confident in your abilities. If you want to start paper piecing I highly recommend Carol Doaks books and also watch some of the many videos on You Tube. Crafty Gemini has lots of simpler projects on her vids. Good luck! Its a very happy rewarding hobby! I started over 30 yrs ago and I still love it!
Old 03-25-2014, 03:32 PM

I can relate to your situation, when I started to quilt after my DH passed, I had no one to guild or help me so I subscribed to MStar quilt Co and watched every tutorial Jenny made, I sure learned a lot!! I also Joined this board which has been so much help. The people are always there to help you through the problems and give advice. I read it daily. good luck with Your venture. There is a wealth of knowledge at your finger tips. Don't give up.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:31 PM

Such good advice. I would add learning how to cut, sew, press and trim accurately. It makes putting the blocks together so much easier. The other very important thing is: joining the ends of the binding by sewing the ends together on the bias. Jenny Doan has a good video on that, but I put a triangle at the beginning of my binding and cut the end at the base of that triangle. No 10 inch tails. It joins just like all the other seams in your binding. You only need an overlap the length of the width of your binding, and the triangle measures that for you.