Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Time to re-think the place I love the most in the house... >

Time to re-think the place I love the most in the house...

Time to re-think the place I love the most in the house...

Old 02-01-2014, 07:16 PM

I love your room. Can certainly associate with your busy peg board looks so much like mine. I HATE it. Have been thinking of taking as much down as possible and putting in decorative boxes. I like the idea of extending the shelving to the floor behind the blue Chair. Some decorative boxes on the shelves could be very interesting. I have thought of using fabric covered shoe boxes to hide my clutter. Have seen tutorials that show using heavy starched fabrics glued over the cardboard show boxes. I am trying those and will let you know how it works. Even spray painted boxes with stenciled designs could be very pretty and inexpensive. Your floors are beautiful and you have very nice tables, etc. keep us posted so we can enjoy your new room with you.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:36 AM

My first thing would be to locate the window and have a machine or cutting table or even library in that area where you can have good light and look outside.
Make boxes or holders for your stuff and label at the front. You maybe able to move items from peg board.
If still have peg board make a curtain which will draw across and make room cosy.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:48 AM

I looked at your room and played with ideas, then read what everyone said. most of ideas already said. few left. I thought move file cabinets to design wall. Hang a flannel sheet on doors , making the front a design wall. cover side visible with a favorite fabric. hot glue. magnetic board. For shoe boxes and white drawers, stand front piece of mat'l upright behind label shows color nicely. arrange in rainbow pattern. A pine board along wall with hooks or nails would be a softer look for hanging a row of templates or .... The display shelves between windows shrink to 4 to 6"bottom shelf, put narrow containers - Jars? fill with rotary cutters, seam rippers, pens, pencils.small narrow stuff. cutting table needs decorated skirt- possible done in panels so would be easy to open. small pegboards, painted, here and there if needed, shelves floor to ceiling with step stool to help reach. Baskets from other shelf would look good about half way down. now reachable and usable. shelves or bookcase on lower part to. (by door)could put books on bottom. Could put in a bigger lower shelf for the printer. It looks heavy and stands out place. or move beside desk. Hang Big templates in row going up wall 24,15,12 or up high as long as you can reach the bottom to fit on hook. some also put hooks on cabinet sides for them . Cover sewing board with a fabric than makes you happy. Mine gets stained over time and I just replace it. Just ideas, now I need to make another list for me. you got me started. Thanks
Old 02-03-2014, 03:53 AM

I guess I must be the opposite of you because I get my inspiration from seeing all my stacks of beautiful fabric on the shelves in my studio. So I'm wondering if you might actually be hiding your source of inspiration in your effort to declutter? Just a thought. . .
Old 02-28-2014, 10:07 AM

"incoming2me", I would love to see any changes you may have made to your great sewing space since you started the thread. Everyone has had such good ideas and I hope they have been helpful to you. Oh, to have all that space. Sigh....
Old 02-28-2014, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

One sometimes get to a point when one gets so many good things, it is difficult to use sny of them.

A radical suggestion: if you can, rent some on site storage - such as a pod - take everything out of your rooms and put it inthe ppd - then bring things back in as you use them.

One can buy adjustzble height work/ computer tables to sdt ewuipment on. Or get a box ( an exercise stepper) works well to put one's fert on if one is shot- legged.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:17 AM

Unfortunately.. No progress has really been made at this point.

I bought a tall solid wood cabinet on Craigslist that I'm going to paint white to store all the shoe boxes.

I'm in the process now of boxing everything in the room up as my DH and I have decided to tile the entire first floor.
We have the tile picked out and a guy is coming out next week to give us an estimate. I may paint the walls while the room is empty.

Once I have everything boxed up.. the large gate-leg dining table is going away along with that Singer 714. (Our church bazaar is coming up soon!) The peg board is coming down and getting cut down. I'll be framing it in molding to hang on the wall. I want to make a new thread storage system based on one that I've found on Pinterest. I'm getting ambitious in my mind and may want to make an ironing station to attach my big board. However, I still think leaving it on the fold-able ironing board will be better.. just so I can conserve space. (I don't use it as often as I do my beside-my-sewing-machine set up.)

I think I've come up with a way to make my current table work as an inset table by building a freestanding shelf under the table to rest the machine on through a hole in the table top. I am still keeping my eyes open for a solid top table on Craigslist nearby at a good price!

Sorry I don't have pictures of a wonderfully redone room yet. We keep adding more and more to this renovation that started out as only replacing flooring in the kitchen and breakfast room. We're now ripping out a wet bar between the breakfast room and den.. and ripping out the vanity in the half bath.
I'm seeing that new AC unit pushed off another year.. ugh.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:25 PM

As many of the ladies have said there is just too much stuff in your "face" in your room. I would take down lots of the shelves and find other ways to store stuff I think once that stuff is removed you will be able to breath again. The pictures give me that claustrophobic feeling. I learnt in my working days that I can't work with lots of projects staring in my face. Put things in baskets or some other storage place so you can relax instead of getting stressed out at looking at every thing. Hope this helps!
Old 03-25-2014, 04:30 PM

Hey i recognize this room. How are you doing? Miss PH
Old 03-25-2014, 04:31 PM

Miss PH is you.. that was confusing of me