Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What blocks do you think quilters should learn? >

What blocks do you think quilters should learn?

What blocks do you think quilters should learn?

Old 03-25-2014, 04:49 PM

A BOM, or Block of the Month, is a fun way to learn different blocks, as well as techniques. Pileofabric.com offers a free one each year, and I'm sure Craftsy does them.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

I think it is most important to figure out whose technique you like best then learn the blocks using that technique. I love E Burns way of doing blocks. For me her technique is easier than others. My only complaint at times is fabric waste. She teaches a lot of the traditional blocks
Old 03-25-2014, 06:18 PM

I started with a few samplers and really enjoyed doing that and I like sampler quilts, so it worked for me
Old 03-25-2014, 07:49 PM

Hi, there are so many videos and site on the internet. Type in missourie quilt company. She has tons of tutorials on there on tons of different quilts that would be good for a beginner to learn and there free. You tube has just about anything you want, or if you want classes crafty that's tons of classes I e bought several, but I wait till there on sale. The good thing about there classes, you can ask questions and get help if you need it.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:09 PM

Lots of great advice here, do check out Craftsy.com there are 3 very helpful free classes 2 block of the month classes and a color theory class which has a more modern take on the block of the month concept. Also you don't have to make a sampler quilt. You can make pillows from your blocks. Another suggestion you really need to follow up on are the Jenny Doan tutorials and Mary Fons has "Quilty" videos on UTube- she teaches many basic skills and blocks too. You're going to have a great time! Relax and enjoy.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:01 AM

When I started quilting (about 40 years ago), I started out making baby quilts. When teaching someone else how to quilt, I always suggest a baby quilt. It's fast, makes you feel good when its done, and you can learn the basic skills pretty quickly by making the smaller quilts. When finished, fold/roll it up and tie with a pretty ribbon, and you've got a gift for the next baby shower, or a donation quilt. At this stage of my life, I particularly love making the smaller quilts as I can use my scraps (and there is a LOT!), and can try new things I see on the web or on this board. With baby quilts remember you have to either quilt it a lot to prevent the batting from bunching (especially because of all the washing) or use flannel or fleece for batting and quilt a little less. If you tie a baby quilt, go on line to learn how to tie the knots correctly and keep the tails very, very short (or it becomes a safety hazard for baby). I'd learn the 4 patch, 9 patch, snowball, HST, warm wishes, churn dash & log cabin. All are great for easy baby quilts - and to get the basics down. Have fun with it!
Old 05-25-2014, 12:01 PM

I agree that making a sampler is very good place to start. I took a beginner's quilt introduction class. We made a 4 patch and a 9 patch in this class. I then took the sampler class which included 6 blocks and the teacher had us make 6 blocks that each taught a technique. Applique( we chose which applique), reverse applique(we chose which one), a block using curved piecing(I chose the drunkard patch in "rob peter to pay paul" design, strip piecing we all did a 4 set log cabins block for this one, the book for class had a picture of a pillow with a basket, which was not a pattern in the book and she had everyone do this as she taught how to draft a pattern and then we learned triangle piecing, and a block with diamond shape piecing-I chose Morning star. When we finished the class we had experience with the basic skills for most blocks. I think it was very useful to have learned all of these. So I would suggest you get a beginner book (or take a class) and learn the variable methods by doing a block using the different style of piecing or applique as a good place to start.
If you pick fabrics that you love or like I think you will be happy with the quilt, and you will learn a variety of skills. Any you don't like you will be aware of before starting a quilt using that type of block.
Enjoy the adventure!

Originally Posted by zennia View Post
When I became interested in quilting i bought a book about learning to quilt. By following the book I made a sampler quilt. I learned alot from doing this. Some blocks I loved and still make other I will not make again. Also along the way taste and styles change. What we love today may be "why did I buy this" next year. Have fun and enjoy. There are always new patterns and notions coming out to try. It is not a boring hobby for sure.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:04 PM

I don't think there are any quilt blocks are a requirement. Since you are new, I would suggest you check out Quilt in a Day's website. they have a Media section where you can watch Quilt in a day episodes. Eleanor Burns is wonderful for teaching quilting. She was the first person I learned quilting from. I watched Quilt in a Day on PBS, and that's where I got the quilting bug. Also, Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting is a good show to watch to learn quilting. If your local PBS station has quilting programs, I would suggest watching. You can get lots of help here, as well. Click on Pictures and you will find lots of inspration. Welcome to the world of quilting!
Old 05-25-2014, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

I was in the same place when I started quilting. No mentor or background at all. I jumped right in not knowing simple from difficult or size requirements or anything. I found patterns I liked, bought fabric I liked in the amounts required and followed the instructions. Certainly not perfect quilts but I was having fun.

learn to make accurate seams and how to handle fabric gently

Learn to make half square triangles (HST) accurately

Learn to sew a curve.

There are several ways of doing each one. try them all.

The sky is the limit with these three basic techniques.

Be sure you have fun while learning.
peace
Old 05-25-2014, 04:16 PM

I think its more important to learn techniques instead of blocks. Scant 1/4" seam, accurate cutting, half square triangles, quarter square triangles, matching seams, pressing & starching, flying geese, basic paper piecing. With learning the techniques, you can turn those skills into any block you want.

Craftsy also has free block of the month classes that you can sign up for if you want to learn a wide variety of piecing techniques.