the binding. This one was more complicated
as it has a prairie point border. The other
was a 9 patch baby quilt with a ruffle.
I cut out a king size Hunter's Star which
I am doing for a housewarming gift for
my niece next week at a retreat. Then
I'll be back on my UFOs
Old 03-26-2014, 05:21 AM

Lovely quilt, Miss Rita. It's another one that would make a good guy quilt, I think. Did you buy the fabrics or use up some of your stash? I think it would be a good stash buster. Very nice...... indeed.

And it sounds like we're all still plugging away.... getting farther on more finishes. Rhonda, Karen, bcross..... still rolling along. Yeah!!

I ordered a 15 1/2" ruler yesterday so I can get at that last top to finish. I'm still working on the baby quilt and lap quilt that I need to get done by the time the ruler arrives. Then, it's back to my last UFO top. It's going to be such a relief to have that last one done..... then I'll have to quilt them and I'll be FREE!! Sorry, I had to vent a little.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:22 AM

Nanna-up-north, it doesn't sound like venting to me. You are very busy and creative minds just keep moving ahead, always thinking of the next item to do or get to. You sound very productive to me. Last UFO Top! Wow, I am impressed.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:24 PM

Hey Orca is changing. When I decided to pull out this UFO I had a box full of pieces.There were 64, 5.5" red string blocks, cut in half (127 triangles) but paper still attached; I had 350 little 2" black and white hourglass blocks, 72 cute 3 1/2" blue string blocks (paper removed on those); 700 black 2" triangles; 280 2.5 " squares, black, red, and neutral; and 100 neutral triangles.
I now have finished blocks! I have 56 Ohio Star blocks completed. 28 are light backgrounds and 28 are dark backgrounds. I have 127 finished red string giant pieced flying geese and 100 half square triangles pieced to a wing triangle unit. The 72 3.5" blue string blocks were already done. I was short about 4 small blocks so I still need to do those, but after that it's time to piece the top together! I can't believe I am at this stage. I am really wondering how I am going to quilt this one. As of yet no idea has jelled for me. Sigh...a relieved sigh..
Old 03-27-2014, 02:17 AM

Rhonda Lee: Look how far you've come! And to think, just little bit ago Orca was in pieces! (so MANY of them!!!) Bravo for your progress and persistence!! And on to the finish...
Old 03-27-2014, 04:09 AM

Asking for advice...I'm on this group and posted two of 3 finished UFOs on the sister thread. YAY for me! Now I've finished working on a top that was started at least 8 years ago. The problem is that the fabric just shreds. There's no resistance at all if a thread from the fabric separates from the edge of the block. So...do I keep going and get it sandwiched, quilted, and hope that the time spent is worthwhile creating a quilt that will last...or do I cut my losses and move on to another UFO that doesn't shred? This top is not that special and never was for anyone.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:23 AM

Coopah: That's discouraging. I'm not sure I quite understanding, is the fabric fraying around the edges? If that is what is happening and your afraid of loosing your 1/4 inch I sure wouldn't continue since it isn't a favorite. I know your familiar with all the steps; seamquard, zigzagging, double seam but if it isn't speaking to you maybe going on to something else is the answer.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:59 PM

RhondaLee- Thanks for your encouraging words. I think the reason I'm getting so much done is that the next quilt to work on is always on my mind. So, getting one done just means I can get to the next one. And I have several 'next ones' in my mind.

WoW.... can't believe your Orca is getting so close to being done. So many pieces.... dedication for sure. I'm totally impressed!!

Coopah... I don't know what to say.... fabric fraying is such a challenge. I'm thinking along the same lines as Emma.... fraying edges to the point of no longer being the size you need would certainly discourage me, too. Is the fabric weave too loose? There's a point for me where I choose to pass on to something else.... that's what I did with the 1st quilt I ever tried to make. It just wasn't worth the effort..... an ugly mess that wasn't worth passing on to anyone including me. Do let us know what you decide to do.... we'll cheer you on for sure.

Okay, gotta get some sleep so I can get back at it again in the morning. I need to keep sewing to get these things done.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:31 PM

@coopah: I'm with the others. If it's not speaking and not acting right, let it go and move on.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:45 AM

Coopah- If I were in your shoes, I think I would ask myself if this project was worth the investment of time I need to put into it. I'm sure you don't want to waste the fabric, but if has broken down to the point that the time needed to finish is more valuable than the outcome, I think I would move on. JMHO

Miss Rita- Your quilt is coming along so nicely!I love the fabrics and the strong diagonal lines.

KarenG--now that's a handy way to manage UFOs!

Nana-up-North- I'm inspired by your momentum and productivity !