Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making a quilt with the chevron material "for a baby quilt" >

Making a quilt with the chevron material "for a baby quilt"

Making a quilt with the chevron material "for a baby quilt"

Old 03-29-2014, 04:40 AM

You have all given me ideas and a lot to think about, with twins on the way I need to set my ideas in motion.
Thanks for all your wonderful help..
Old 03-29-2014, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

Jean, the most important thing to do is to make sure you are within your comfort zone of quilting. There are lots of patterns such as HST that you can have the chevron pattern running across or vertical or even at an angle on a quilt. You can make the HST any size to accommodate the size of the baby quilts. You can even make a quilt using rectangles. Then you can use the chevron fabric as the backing. I would do a search on Google : "chevron patterns" and see if there is any pattern that the people you are making these quilts for will be delighted with the pattern you have chosen.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevron topss.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	469276  
Old 03-29-2014, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
Im starting one from the book Strip Smart Quilts II page 13. Recommended to use a special ruler. But I think you could use a 60 degree ruler and just make more blocks. I think using the chevron fabric would be ok if you make one no wider than WOF which might work for a baby quilt. Might look strange if it is pieced. I got my book from amazon. If you go to amazon and search for Kathy Brown you will see the book and you can look inside and it will show the yellow chevron quilt. I was fortunate to have someone give me the ruler. I think it is rather $$ . I also used it to make a herringbone quilt. I really like this book so plan on using the ruler several times. The ruler is the 90 degree double strip ruler
Forgot to mention that the quilts in this book are all made with triangles from 2 fabrics. 2 sets sewn together to make a block. So easy! No messing around with HSTs

Last edited by snipforfun; 03-29-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:22 AM
RST

So as I understand it, you were asked to use a chevron material in one of the quilts? Does the recipient want the chevron pattern to dominate, or just want to use the fabric? If just to use the fabric, I've seen some really lovely stack and whack style kaleidoscope quilts using chevron fabric -- careful cutting and stitching translates to amazing snowflake designs.

Otherwise, I find chevron fabrics a bit annoying to use in quilting -- they're not always very forgiving as a quilt back (any sort of pucker or imperfection seems magnified) and with borders and sashings, particularly on a small quilt, you have to be careful about piecing.

Now making blocks to create chevrons is another thing entirely -- several ways to do it, most of them fast and fun.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:10 PM

There is this pattern for a chevron quilt http://myquiltinfatuation.blogspot.c...-tutorial.html or this one doesn't involve triangles http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com.a...ithout_30.html
I am going to make a rainbow chevron baby quilt for my niece (hopefully soon )